Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Help me function with a back spasm, please!

OMG. On Thursday, two muscles under my trapezius went into spasm - the one that connects the shoulderblade to the spine (rhomboid minor) and the neck muscle that connects with it and goes up behind the ear (levator scapulae).

It kicked off a major migraine, and I was at the doctor's (rocking on the floor trying to stay ahead of the pain) for a couple of hours. I got a muscle relaxant shot, some migraine meds, and vicodin for the pain. While this stopped the migraine and cut my pain in about half, I hurt so much that I'm not functional.

DH ran home from work on Thurs and stayed home Fri, we didn't even get to sail this weekend. And I'm still not wholly functional - even with 1/2 a pain pill.

Please, if you have any tricks, exercises, etc., for muscles that are hurting, please tell me. I need to get this fixed asap.

If you don't have suggestions, please send a little good mojo. I have no help for this coming week and *must* be functional for my two guys.
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

PM'd you.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

I will be watching for tips because my back started to spasm this morning and it is killing me.

jenfromnj is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

No real advice, but wanted to send you some mojo! If the muscle relaxer shot helped, maybe your doctor can call in an Rx for some muscle relaxer pills?

Thanks, Beth - btw, your incoming message folder is full!

Jen, thanks for the mojo and the suggestion. The muscle relaxer shot helped, but only a little. Maybe I can call her tomorrow and ask for some. But maybe I should just take ibuprofen. I can't take those super-relaxing meds when I have the kids!
    -Ivy

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

You need muscle relaxants if you have spasms. What did they give as an injection? If you have bad spasm you have to take the relaxants a couple of days in a row. I've tried flexaril and valium, and although valium has got a bad rep it's a much less "dirty" drug than flexaril. I find I can function fine on valium and I don't get that hangover effect. I usually take it at night, then NSAIDS round the clock.

Quote Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
    You need muscle relaxants if you have spasms. What did they give as an injection? If you have bad spasm you have to take the relaxants a couple of days in a row. I've tried flexaril and valium, and although valium has got a bad rep it's a much less "dirty" drug than flexaril. I find I can function fine on valium and I don't get that hangover effect. I usually take it at night, then NSAIDS round the clock.

Intramuscular injection of Toradol? Aladol? something like that. Frankly, I was crying with pain at the time and it could have been hemlock for all I knew.

Valium is not my favorite - tends to make me loopy and feel out of body, kwim? - but I'm sold on trying the NSAIDs.

Thank you!
    -Ivy

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

no real advice, just sending mojo that you feel better soon! i know the panic that sets in when you get really hurt and you are just scrambling to find ways to be functional to take care of kids all day.

like others i would suggest a muscle relaxant (i've taken that in the past when i had back spasms & severe sciatica pain due to spasming muscles), but those make me fall asleep, so it's a no-go for me if i have to take care of kids. i guess maybe NSAIDs? i know i usually have to take 600mg every 6 hrs or somethng to get the anti-inflammatory pain-relieving effect

sending more mojo!!

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeofUs View Post
    Intramuscular injection of Toradol? Aladol? something like that. Frankly, I was crying with pain at the time and it could have been hemlock for all I knew.

Valium is not my favorite - tends to make me loopy and feel out of body, kwim? - but I'm sold on trying the NSAIDs.

Thank you!
    Toradol is an IV NSAID, great for pain relief, but won't help relax the spasm. Like I said, taking one at night before sleep is always helpful for me in spasm. You might be groggy in the AM, it depends on the drug and you, but you should be able to function. Some people find heat helpful for spasm, but I never do. Ice is usually better for me.

I thought my doc said she was giving me a muscle relaxant, but while the pain was abated a little, the muscles certainly did not relax. Valium and I just don't. get. along.

I've been trying heat, but I think you're right about ice. I need a frozen golf ball or something to rub over the pressure points.

I'm going to try the 600-800 mg of ibuprofen every 6 hours. I hope it works.
    -Ivy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast