Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    HonoluluMom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Dating in the workplace - what do you think?

Two people in my office are dating. My office is pretty small - less than 50 people. What makes it unusual is that it is a supervisor and secretary and they do on occasion work on the same projects.

What would you think? Would it make you uncomfortable?

Pinky is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by HonoluluMom View Post
    Two people in my office are dating. My office is pretty small - less than 50 people. What makes it unusual is that it is a supervisor and secretary and they do on occasion work on the same projects.

What would you think? Would it make you uncomfortable?
    I suppose as long as they kept it professional at work at ALL times I'd be ok with it... I'd be uncomfortable if there was lovey dovey stuff going on or PDAs.
    DD Spring 2010

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

That would be prohibited by the code of conduct in my work place. Inappropriate IMO.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DH and I met at work. We didn't date for over a year and I was very nervous when we did. I hardly ever talked to him at all at work because I didn't want to get into trouble, but our company was ok with it. They actually were concerned that we weren't talking at work. We did work on a couple things together and a few times it really got hard. I was a cost accountant and he was an engineer and the buyer/planner was telling him that I was doing things wrong,etc when it was really her. He got kinda nasty with me and it really hurt my feelings. I probably took it too personal, but thankfully it was only once in a blue moon we had to work together.

ETA I was a summer intern when we met and again the following summer when we started dating. I worked elsewhere after I graduated for about 2 years before they called me and asked if I wanted a job, even though they knew we were serious. I was not comfortable with it the entire time, but since they offered me the job and it was an opportunity I couldn't pass up, I took the job.
    Last edited by MSWR0319; 07-31-2011 at 08:47 PM.

It's against our code of conduct...

I saw a doctor from the clinic I work at VERY casually a few years ago. We kept it very clean at work--maybe a smart-a$$ remark every now and again, or a genuine compliment about a job well done with a difficult patient, but there wasn't any flirting in front of coworkers. When I started dating someone else exclusively, it strained our professional relationship to the point where he asked that I work with other doctors and not be staffed with him any longer. Neither of us got in trouble for it, but I know we both got scrutinized much more the following months in regards to our job performance.

I think it's just asking for trouble, personally. But you'd be hard-pressed to get someone in the middle of an office romance to admit it's asking for trouble!
    --Mimi
    Mom to Lala (2004), Bonus Mom to Big Sis 1 (1991) and Big Sis 2 (1992)
    Grammy to Big Kindy Kid (2011), Big Pre-K Kid (2012),
    Grandbaby Appendage (2014), and New Baby Grandboy (summer 2017)

boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by arivecchi View Post
    That would be prohibited by the code of conduct in my work place. Inappropriate IMO.
    Mine, too. If it turns out that two people from my office become romantically involved, they are never permitted to work on the same projects at all and it's taken extremely seriously. Like one of them gets moved to one of our satellite offices seriously.
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06

happymomma is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

DH and I met at our workplace. We were such a big company and we were at the same level that it didn't affect us. We didn't work on the same projects but we knew the same people. I made a point of not really talking to him too much or showing any PDA when we were dating.

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Been there, dated that, married him. But we worked in different depts with no overlap, on different floors. We rarely saw each other. There were loads of people dating at the company, and still are, as well as many married couples.

We definitely kept a no PDA rule though. Once I was waiting for the elevator and the doors opened to reveal another couple full on making out... UGH it was so embarrassing!
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Happens often where I work. My sister met her DH at the office (but they didn't work together). That said a 50 person office is small. If they keep it professional I think it is ok.
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

infocrazy is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Twoboos View Post
    Been there, dated that, married him. But we worked in different depts with no overlap, on different floors. We rarely saw each other. There were loads of people dating at the company, and still are, as well as many married couples.

We definitely kept a no PDA rule though.
    Jen

DS in X-Small 7/12, Medium 5/07, and Large 7/05, one DD 3/10, and our DS 4/09 watching over us.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast