Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Wow! can't believe PB are now on PBK! crazy! Will the number trick work? The good thing is maybe there is a chance for discounts now!

happymomma is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I just bit the bullet and ordered 2 planetboxes. One for each of my kids. I found that since I was ordering 2, it made more sense to buy it directly from Plantebox since I only had to pay the $10.95 shipping and there was no tax. On Pottery Barn Kids, I had to pay tax, so it was almost the same price. Plus there was more variety when ordering from Planetbox directly. I am so excited!! I ended up buying the whole set and I can't wait. It hink it'll make packing lunches much more simplier. Right now we've been packing the kids lunches in these stainless steel containers. But it was a pain to have to wash so many of them. Now there's just one of each. Yeah!!!

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by happymomma View Post
    I just bit the bullet and ordered 2 planetboxes. One for each of my kids. I found that since I was ordering 2, it made more sense to buy it directly from Plantebox since I only had to pay the $10.95 shipping and there was no tax. On Pottery Barn Kids, I had to pay tax, so it was almost the same price. Plus there was more variety when ordering from Planetbox directly. I am so excited!! I ended up buying the whole set and I can't wait. It hink it'll make packing lunches much more simplier. Right now we've been packing the kids lunches in these stainless steel containers. But it was a pain to have to wash so many of them. Now there's just one of each. Yeah!!!
    For whatever reason, it is so much easier making lunches. I think you will love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kindra178 View Post
    For whatever reason, it is so much easier making lunches. I think you will love them.
    I think you are right!! I have been hating packing the kids lunches this summer. Got really tired of the many containers. I think this will make it easier! Thanks so much for giving me the vote of confidence I needed. I do feel that is very expensive but I think it's worth it if it measures up to my expectations.

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Does anyone actually already *have* the Planet box and have experience using it? I have questions.

1) the sandwich compartment looks small -- like it would only fit small, Wonderbread sized bread. The bread I buy has larger slices (width-wise). Can someone measure the inside of this for me?

2) if you send a hot entree, there is no way to keep it hot, right? No thermos??

3) if you send a hot entree and somehow get it to stay hot, you can't also pack a cold snack, right?

4) it only fits their (pretty ugly IMO) carry case??

5) do Funtainers fit in the bottle pocket?
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray View Post
    Does anyone actually already *have* the Planet box and have experience using it? I have questions.

1) the sandwich compartment looks small -- like it would only fit small, Wonderbread sized bread. The bread I buy has larger slices (width-wise). Can someone measure the inside of this for me?

2) if you send a hot entree, there is no way to keep it hot, right? No thermos??

3) if you send a hot entree and somehow get it to stay hot, you can't also pack a cold snack, right?

I don't have the planetbox yet but I've seen it at my friend's house. Here's my take on it:
    1. I think it's not for the big sandwiches. I don't have the measurements.
    2. No, it's for the cold lunches primarily. I use a thermos for hot lunches for the kids.
    3. I think if you had cold and hot next to each other, the hot would make the cold wilt. It's just metal separating the 2.
    4. I think that some peopel were able to fit it in a different container. But I played it safe and just bought the full set.
    5. I saw in a blog that funtainers fit in the bottle pocket.

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Well, I've waded through the current c-s.org thread: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=178570

Lunchbox drama -- who knew?

Anyway, I just can't see spending $60 on a lunchbox. It won't work for hot lunches, which I send at least twice a week. I might try one for me and see how it goes. What magnets would mommy like?
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

rgors is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

It is 4"x4". Perhaps 3.875"x3.875", depending on how you account for the rounded edges.

correct. I skip the Planetbox and use a Thermos food jar, on hot lunch days. For the cold snack, on hot lunch days, I pack a Lock&Lock bento box with the thermos jar. http://www.reuseit.com/store/lock-lo...?slave_id=2839

correct -- not using a planetbox

We put ours in a Skip Hop backpack (which is not insulated like many lunch packs are). The backpack, not the little lunch containers. I haven't found a proper insulated pack that fits it (will have to check out citizen pip mentioned below)

I think one of my daughter's classmates does carry a funtainer in the bottle pocket, but I am not sure. We happily use a Kleen Kanteen with sport cap as our lunch bottle.
    Last edited by rgors; 07-31-2011 at 11:48 AM.

]Does anyone actually already *have* the Planet box and have experience using it? I have questions.

--I have it and used it all last year to pack DS' lunches. I love it! It is nice that it is one piece. DS is very unlikely to lose his entire lunch box, but individual containers and lids are more likely to go missing around here. Also with only one lid to open he sees his entire lunch quickly and is more likely to eat some of everything. I also love that it is stainless and not plastic as I am trying to reduce our plastic use. Finally I love that it can go in the dishwashing machine!

--About 4 1/4 square. DS doesn't much like sandwiches. When I do pack them they are on funny size bread that wouldn't fit anyway and I use a sandwich shape cutter that makes them fit or I use a mini bagel

--No, no way to keep things hot. If I send a themes I use a different small container for sides (lunchbots duo) and pack in a different bag.

--Can't keep things hot. See above.

--I am not a fan of the carrying case either. Someone up thread posted an alternative.

--I don't know, I don't have one. Also I have the old style carrying case and they changed to pocket for the water bottle on the new case.

HTH,
    Catherine

chozen is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

how long do you think the planet box in its carry bag would keep food cold safely?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast