Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default UPDATE: What makes the Frontier difficult to install?

UPDATE: See post #7.

I seem to remember seeing posts that the Frontier is more difficult to install than other Britax seats. If my memory is correct, and that is the case, what exactly makes it so difficult? We have a Toyota Highlander, and we are considering replacing DD's Marathon with a Frontier when we get the insurance money. She is 3 1/2, about 39" tall, about 31 lbs. She would be harnessed until at least 40 lbs, probably longer with this seat. We had to move DS to a booster at not quite 40 lbs because he is long and skinny. I'm hoping the Frontier will get us more harnessed time for DD.

DH is against the Frontier; he thinks it looks big and bulky. He noticed that it doesn't have the side bars like the Marthon (for the LATCH belts), and he's worried it would be difficult to install. I'm trying to convince him we should get it instead of another MA.

Thanks!
    Last edited by sariana; 07-12-2011 at 07:27 PM. Reason: update
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

It's just that it's *different* from the MA... you have to kind of dig in there for the LATCH belts, and pull it tight from the front, through slits in the cover, rather than out to the side. The old FR80 had a horrid belt path that never worked with a seatbelt, but the FR85 has a nice wide path, so if you need the seatbelt, it's usually just fine. Here's a pic of my dh's hand pulling it forward like I described... https://picasaweb.google.com/joolsta...43197539465522
    And here it is next to an old Roundabout, it looks positively small next to the RA, surprisingly, and lower and easier for kids to climb into...https://picasaweb.google.com/joolsta...43231899203954
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

Thanks for the pics, Jools!

You mention "If you need the seatbelt": Do you mean in harnessed mode? I assume so, since anyone would need the seatbelt in booster mode, right?

Our Highlander is a 2011, so using LATCH definitely is not a problem. Can this seat use LATCH as a booster (just so that it is secured when not occupied)?
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

Yeah, LATCH up to 40 pounds, then seatbelt, when in harnessed mode. And yup, when it's in booster mode you can definitely leave it LATCHed in place (loosely, so it doesn't fly around, not solid like in harnessed mode). It's a little big, and hard to buckle in booster mode, so kids typically find it easier to buckle when they are 6 or 7, but it can easily fit in harnessed mode that long.
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Joolsplus2 View Post
    It's a little big, and hard to buckle in booster mode, so kids typically find it easier to buckle when they are 6 or 7, but it can easily fit in harnessed mode that long.
    Agree with this 100%. DD1 had a hard time buckling herself in it at 5 yrs. old, and 42" tall (and she's been in a Turbo booster in DCP's car since January) a couple of weeks ago that she asked me to reharness her (we didn't even make it out of the driveway to do a trial trip). We'll try it again probably right after another growth spurt or after she turns 6.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

OKKiddo is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I actually prefer the install with the long belt path install. I can get it in quicker and just as tight as with a latch install--I just don't want to have to take the extra time to do it. And reclining the seat is necessary for me to get a rock solid install with the frontier when it's installed with latch.

I found the Frontier at a nearby B & M store on sale for $202. I don't know if that's the best price, but it's worth it to me to be able to try the seat in my car. We're getting more than that (though less than the regular price of the seat being replaced) from the other party's insurance company.

I had been doing all kinds of maneuvering to try to get the best deal online, making sure I could return the seat if necessary. Then I just happened to flip through a coupon book that came in the mail and found the ad for the sale. It's Bergstroms, a well-known, store, not some podunk store that's going to screw me.

I'm so excited! If this all works out, DD will get to have a pink seat! She'll be over the moon!

The downside is that they don't carry the pink Marathon if the Frontier doesn't work out. I would have to order it online.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

twodogs is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Hope you got the seat. I have a Highlander and the Frontier 85 (in pink too) latches very easily and tightly in mine.

We didn't get it. DH said it was "too wobbly" in booster mode, so he thought it was unsafe. He also thinks it is too big.

I'm still trying to convince him. It is on clearance until it is sold out. The color is being discontinued. I may buy it this week if the store still has it.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

larig is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I just installed the FR85 in my dad's highlander. I have only used the seat belt, but I can get rock solid installs pretty darn easily with it. I've only used it for a month, but I'm really pleased so far, and DS loves the cow moo.
    L, mommy to my one and only, super-sweet boy, G 6/08

I'm pro-big bird, and I vote.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast