Default Do you give daycare teachers goodbye/thank you gifts?

My son is leaving his daycare center this Friday. Is it customary to give the teachers gifts when you are leaving? I am a bit overwhelmed b/c he has had 9 teachers while there, plus there is the director and the office mgr. (He has been there 1.5 yrs, the first year with 4 infant teachers, the last 6 mos with 5 toddler teachers.)

ncat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I wrote a handwritten note to DS's 2 teachers and the owner when we moved him (to the same center as DD). We were really happy with his care there and wanted to thank them and let them know we would be happy to provide a reference. I think gifts would have been nice, but we didn't do it. They gave him a book (with a nice handwritten note) and a t-shirt.
    ncat
    mama to DD 12/04, DS1 11/08, and DS2 7/13

Pinky is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ncat View Post
    I wrote a handwritten note to DS's 2 teachers and the owner when we moved him (to the same center as DD). We were really happy with his care there and wanted to thank them and let them know we would be happy to provide a reference. I think gifts would have been nice, but we didn't do it. They gave him a book (with a nice handwritten note) and a t-shirt.
    I would just give them a card thanking them for taking such good care of him... it sounds like there are just too many teachers to do gifts.
    DD Spring 2010

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

He has 9 teachers now, or he is on his 9th teacher due to turnover and him moving up?

We gave a generous bonus to our DCP on our last day there - we love her and what she's done for DD. But in your case, I wouldn't. Just a card. And if he has a special relationship with a current caretaker, maybe a $15 gift card to Starbucks or B&N or somewhere like that.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

purpleeyes is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

On DD's last day I gave GC's to her two main teachers with individual thank you notes. I also brought in candy and a general thank you note for the 'staff. I also wrote a detailed thank you letter to the director talking about what I loved about her school. I was beyond pleased with her care and education at this school and I felt it was important to note that.
    B

DS
    DD

Quote Originally Posted by wellyes View Post
    He has 9 teachers now, or he is on his 9th teacher due to turnover and him moving up?

We gave a generous bonus to our DCP on our last day there - we love her and what she's done for DD. But in your case, I wouldn't. Just a card. And if he has a special relationship with a current caretaker, maybe a $15 gift card to Starbucks or B&N or somewhere like that.
    Not 9 teachers right now Five teachers right now (in the toddler room), and 4 teachers that he left in the spring (who are in the infant room). Now I wish we had given the 4 infant teachers something when he moved up, so it wouldn't be such a large group to thank all at once!!

Quote Originally Posted by purpleeyes View Post
    On DD's last day I gave GC's to her two main teachers with individual thank you notes. I also brought in candy and a general thank you note for the 'staff. I also wrote a detailed thank you letter to the director talking about what I loved about her school. I was beyond pleased with her care and education at this school and I felt it was important to note that.
    I like the candy & card idea, they have a little staff/break room so if we brought something along those lines they could share it there. Buying 9 (or 11 if you count the dir. & mgr) gift cards or something just seems crazy...

We've brought a dozen of doughnuts for staff in the past when DS was leaving a care facility. He's never stayed in one place for that long, save one where I gave his teacher and director a gift, but he's always been a challenging child .
    Mom to DS born on Thanksgiving 2003

I bought cupcakes for dd's school. I think there were 27 teachers so I bought enough cupcakes for them. Sams has 30 for $13. I just loved her daycare and wanted to do something for the entire group even if it was simple.

chiisai is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

For his in-home daycare I did a thank you card and a giant box of goodies from Lush, but there were only 3.

For his pre-school I made photo thank you cards of him being silly and gave them each $5 starbucks cards. There were about 12 (including teachers and field trip bus drivers, plus the pre-school director and the overall director) and I know I still missed some of the teachers who he also worked with.
    Deal-hunting mom to a 2006 and a 2010