maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default anyone run a 5K, with your dog?

I've been looking for a 5K race this fall, and happened upon one being sponsored by our local animal rescue league. It's 5Kish (like 3.08 miles), and families and dogs are welcome. It's being billed as a run/walk. They have some guidelines if you're going to race with your dog. But I was wondering if anyone has ever done this, or been to this type of race, and what your experience was? Shep is a pretty mellow dog, but he does get excited when he sees other dogs (always wants to play). He does great at daycare, but in this situation all dogs must be on a short leash, which I'm sure changes the dynamics somewhat.

I just ran around 5k this weekend with Shep, and he did fine with no breaks.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

That's awesome! I had to laugh reading your title, though. My dog was only 10 lbs and could only walk a few blocks before needing me to carry her back home. She definitely wouldn't be a good candidate for a doggie 5K, lol.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Our dog has done 10+k runs. Our only issue is that our dog likes to be at the front of the pack, so he is NOT happy if his human is not at the front of the pack, KWIM?

Other than that, just run with your regular leash, but short-leash him, esp. at the start.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Yes, we've done it. When running, our dogs pretty much stay focused on where they're going, and don't worry too much about other dogs/people around them. But they're pretty well-socialized too.

I say go for it.
    Mom to DD - my thriving preemie - Jan 2009

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Okay, great!

The rules are if you're running with your dog or a stroller you have to start in the back 1/3 of the crowd. We're thinking of doing it with the whole family unless the reg fee gets too high. Dh is suggesting I just do it myself, spend some quality time with the dog
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/