bcafe is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default I need portable, shelf stable protein filled snacks!

DD and DS are staying in after school for various activites until 5pm, 2 days a week. They aren't fans of nuts, even the flavored almonds, etc. There is no way to keep cheese cold and DS is allergic to peanuts. I am struggling here! I may try beef sticks, but does anyone know of any without nitrates/nitrites?

elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Do they like nut butters? If so, Amazon sells Justin's nut butters in individual packs and they could dip crackers or carrots or celery in the nut butter.

bcafe is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Yes, we do sunbutter for lunches so I was thinking of something else for snacks. Thank you though, I may just need to go with something like that.

ETA:I just read that that particular brand may have traces of peanuts.

How about laughing cow cheese? That's shelf stable. Or individual containers/packets of hummus?

elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Not sure if these have peanuts, but Cliff Z bars might work. They don't really have a ton of protein, but they are shelf stable.

ETA: Vitaspelt organic pretzels have 4 grams of protein per serving, so these with the laughing cow cheese or hummus would make a pretty good snack.
    Last edited by elbenn; 09-01-2011 at 02:19 PM.

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

CHeese cubes mixed with frozen peas will keep the cheese cold (I do this during the toddler phase sometimes)

Lara bars or homemade lara bars (really easy to do w/ a food processor)

WFs carries nitirate/nitrite free/hormone/antibiotic free packs of shelf stable pepperoni and turkey/beef sticks (a little like a slim jim).
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

babyonway is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I just discovered dry-roasted edamame from WF and it is very good. It is 14 gms of protein for 1/4 cup.

ETA: I don't know much about FA but the bag says they were processed in a plant that processes peanuts. I wasn't sure if that would be out or not but I wanted to provide this option.
    Mama to my sweet lil girl (Summer 2010)

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My kids really like snapeas. Good amount of protein AND fiber.

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Love snappeas, a little dusty, but love them. Wonderful idea about the cut up cheese and frozen peas, will have to try that.

So, is laughing cow cheese shelf stable? I did not know that? Are you talking about the wedges of the soft, spreadable stuff. I see that out in the aisles (not refridgerated) at the store. The red discs, though, I see in the refridgerated section.

I have some sunbutter and almond butter that I need to use up (Blue diamond almond butter is peanut free). My kids don't like either on bread, so I'm thinking of baking it into something. I've done it before w/rice krispies and choc chips (stir in gobs of sunbutter), and it turns out amazing. I end up eating too much. Trying to think of a use that would be not as sweet. I suppose I could use a plain cheerio, some karo syrup (reduce the amount if possible), and the nut butter? IDK. I do find my kids like sun/almond butter better in things rather than on bread though.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard