Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Melanie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Lock.The.Gate.
    Boy - 10 years, Girl - 6 Years Old!, (What am I still doing here?! LOL) Dog - Eternal Puppy , Me - Done .

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

yeah time to lock the gate and just tell the little boy "I'm sorry but my DS was very hurt by you hitting him in the head with your nerf gun and since you can't seem to play nicely you aren't allowed to play together anymore". The kid needs to understand too since his parents obviously are just making excuses for his behavior and not holding him accountable for anything.

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

You need to set boundaries to protect your family and kids - and operate as if the kid is flying solo (which it sounds like he basically is). Every.single.time he comes into your yard or comes near your kids, go over and tell him he is not allowed in your yard, and then walk him back to his house. Don't engage in debate, don't antagonize or lecture. Just set the boundary and enforce it. You'll likely have to enforce it 20+ times for him to get the picture and start following it - keep a mental count so you don't tell yourself 'this isn't working' because it will, it will just take a loooooong time if he's not used to boundaries.

Tell your children they are not allowed to play with him and to tell him - "We are not allowed to play with you - goodbye" and they immediately come to get you each.and.every.time.

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Tondi G View Post
    yeah time to lock the gate and just tell the little boy "I'm sorry but my DS was very hurt by you hitting him in the head with your nerf gun and since you can't seem to play nicely you aren't allowed to play together anymore". The kid needs to understand too since his parents obviously are just making excuses for his behavior and not holding him accountable for anything.
    I think that's a good point. For some reason I was thinking he was older, but is the problem child only four years old? It is HORRIBLE that his parents are leaving him to negotiate everything alone and essentially grow up unassisted (from what it sounds like). I mean, I think almost any kid would act this way if completely unchecked by parents. I know mine would. So, I would try to do the best you can to guide him a bit through this, while doing exactly what others have said by cutting him out.

Sorry you are dealing with it, it's ridiculous to have to lock the gate but that is what I would do too.

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    Just write him back and say "we are on the same page, our children shouldn't play together anymore because our parenting styles don't match. All the best Nikki". That's it, delete further texts. Tell his son "I'm sorry, you can't play here now". And hope they move before he's a teenager.

Oh, and the dad's an ass.
    on all points.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Wait, these people are letting their four year old just wander into someone's yard? I totally thought these were older kids. Thatt's even more bizarre!
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3