Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by DrSally View Post
    How do you know if it's turning into cellulitis?
    First it's the itching, which I always hope is just "healing" but shortly thereafter it gets red, raised, inflamed. It happens very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by randomkid View Post
    My derm prefers polysporin over neo. Neosporin contains neomycin which many people are allergic to. Polysporin has higher concentrations of the other antibacterial ingredients and does NOT contain neomycin. Since you have sensitive skin, I'd definitely recommend polysporin.

If you have problems with bandaids/adhesives, go to any pharmacy (even Target in the first aid aisle) and get 2x2 size gauze pads and use paper tape to secure. You should be able to find that there as well - try to find 1/2" width and put most of it over the gauze and just a small edge on your skin. Most people with adhesive allergies do well with paper tape. This is what it looks like http://www.amazon.com/Micropore-Pape...7524111&sr=1-1 You can also use 1" width and put the gauze pad in the middle like making a bandaid. I think I have seen paper tape in tan as well as white.

Obviously, keep the wound clean. I would change the dressing twice a day, cleaning the wound with soap and water each time, then applying the polysporin (also available at Target). You could even buy larger gauze pads to use for cleaning because they are sterile. Buy gauze that comes in individual packages, usually 2 pads per package and they'll be in a box. Be sure to wash your hands before cleaning the wound. Do not use antibacterial soap, just plain old soap and water. Of, if you find a cleanser in the first aid aisle that might be good, too. If you want to be extra cautious, wear gloves when you change the dressing. This all might seem like overkill, but I think it's worth a shot to go the extra mile to try to prevent an infection.

Good luck and I agree with trying supplements. Vitamins B and C help with healing and collagen production. What about adding probiotics?
    Thanks for the tips! I actually have the gauze and a version of the tape, it's more fabric than paper, but I'm trying it now. It's already itching me, I might take the gauze back off. Crap.
    * Charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society
    * I do not fix my typos. I shuold, but I dodn't.
    * I regret tucking my jeans into my socks with Reebok high-tops well into 1994.

Aishe is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Just some food for thought: I thought I had an allergy to band-aids, but it turned out I am actually allergic to Neosporin. Like you, my reactions to band-aids were inconsistent. That's because sometimes I was using Neosporin and sometimes I wasn't. My dermatologist said it's a very common allergy. She says I can't use any of the -porin ointments and prescribes Bactroban (mupirocin) for me. I know this isn't really relevant to cellulitis, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

when you have had cellulitis, has it been cultured? Is it always the same bug? If so, you may be a carrier for that organism on your skin and once you have any barrier disruption, you are getting cellulitis.

studies show that any topical antibiotic and bandage is no better than vaseline/aquaphor and a bandage. moist and covered is the best, but doesn't have to be a topical antibiotic. if the inflammation is limited to the bandage area, it may be related to the topical antibiotic (allergy) rather than a true cellulitis.

No advice but now I know what's been going on with my wounds the last couple of years. I had no idea what it was until I googled it based on your thread.

Good health wound mojo to you!!!!!!
    ---------
    A-M
    happy mother to DD1, 7/08 & DD2, 2/12
    charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society, 1/11

I believe in the power of BBB Good Mojo.
    ---------

Quote Originally Posted by cckwmh View Post
    when you have had cellulitis, has it been cultured? Is it always the same bug? If so, you may be a carrier for that organism on your skin and once you have any barrier disruption, you are getting cellulitis.

studies show that any topical antibiotic and bandage is no better than vaseline/aquaphor and a bandage. moist and covered is the best, but doesn't have to be a topical antibiotic. if the inflammation is limited to the bandage area, it may be related to the topical antibiotic (allergy) rather than a true cellulitis.

You know, Hils, both of these are really good ideas to follow up. If this always happens with little breaks in your skin, it's time to see what is causing the problem.

Sounds frustrating and really tough.
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew

Quote Originally Posted by Fairy View Post
    It's already itching me, I might take the gauze back off. Crap.
    I wonder if the itching is from the Neosporin? Wash it good and just use Aquaphor or Vaseline as a PP mentioned. I did read that somewhere as well (to use when you have cellulitis). I do think keeping it covered is important, but you know what works best for you. Is the gauze cotton or synthetic? Think about all the things you are using - it could be an allergy/sensitivity, not the beginnings of cellulitis (let's hope).

PP had a good suggestion about having a bacteria colonized. That could explain the recurrent cellulitis. Maybe the sensitivity/allergy issues cause the inflammation that leads to cellulitis?

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Has you PCP every tested your AC1 hemoglobin for possible diabetes?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2