lmwbasye is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Birthdays with no help are my personal version of hell

I've decided that this is the case. G turned 4 today. I've had to do all the shopping, wrapping, baking cupcakes for class, baking cake for tonight, making dinner, trying to Skype with DH, both sets of grandparents, and two sets of siblings one right after another for 2 hours while having a 3 year old unwrap the appropriate presents from the appropriate people plus try to take pics and videos at the same time for DH, dealing with wrapping paper everywhere, and opening these darn toys out of their packages. I'm just exhausted and headachey and there is still so much to clean up. My house is trashed, I feel like our day was completely insane instead of enjoyable (although I'm sure he loved it) and I feel like I completely failed on getting adequate pics and videos. I mean...try carrying a cake with a candle on it out to the boys, while filming video on camera that you're holding, and singing...not as easy as it sounds.

I just want to cry and I miss DH so much it hurts. I want us to raise our children together and he has only ever been here once for G's birthday.

Oh...and Liam's birthday is in less than 3 weeks so now I get to start this all over. Plus, the class party. Sigh.
    Laura Proud Army wife and SAHM to Liam (10/04) and George (10/07)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I'm sorry. YOu are doing a fantastic job!!!

Beth

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I bet he had a great time! You're an awesome mama for orchestrating all that. Hope you get a breather sometime soon!

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I wish I could come over and help you clean up! Big hugs
    K

Cam&Clay is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Oh, honey....I'm right there with you.

DS1's birthday was Sunday and I was so exhausted after what seemed like the longest day ever. All I could think of the whole day was the DH wasn't there and is, as usual, going to miss all of our birthdays, Christmas, Thanksgiving, Valentines Day...it sucks so much.

Birthdays are stressful, but I'm sure that you gave G the best birthday ever and that's what matters. Now leave the trash and go take a bubble bath...
    DS1 age 21 years
    DS2 age 11 years

Catherine

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

That sounds so so hard. But you did it!
    DD
    DS

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lmwbasye View Post
    I've decided that this is the case. G turned 4 today. I've had to do all the shopping, wrapping, baking cupcakes for class, baking cake for tonight, making dinner, trying to Skype with DH, both sets of grandparents, and two sets of siblings one right after another for 2 hours while having a 3 year old unwrap the appropriate presents from the appropriate people plus try to take pics and videos at the same time for DH, dealing with wrapping paper everywhere, and opening these darn toys out of their packages. I'm just exhausted and headachey and there is still so much to clean up. My house is trashed, I feel like our day was completely insane instead of enjoyable (although I'm sure he loved it) and I feel like I completely failed on getting adequate pics and videos. I mean...try carrying a cake with a candle on it out to the boys, while filming video on camera that you're holding, and singing...not as easy as it sounds.

I just want to cry and I miss DH so much it hurts. I want us to raise our children together and he has only ever been here once for G's birthday.

Oh...and Liam's birthday is in less than 3 weeks so now I get to start this all over. Plus, the class party. Sigh.
    Oh, man, that is hard. DH has been gone for some of the kids' birthdays before. I have decided to make it as easy for me as possible because I notice the kids enjoy their parties more when I'm not screaming at them before hand. (I'm not saying you scream at your kids. Though, if you accomplished all that, i certainly wouldn't blame you. ).

so, here's what i'd do for your next bday party:

+ do the shopping while the kids are in school tomorrow. Don't wrap them- put them in gift bags. Target has had a bunch in their dollar bins lately. Tissue paper too! Get that all done and get it out of the way.

+ charge the camera and camcorders now. Do it tonight so they are ready to go.

+ Warn your DH and the grandparents in advance that you can't Skype with them that day. Do it the next day and email them pictures from the party.

+ Get another parent to hold the camcorder when you are bringing out the cake. Tell them you want them to aim it at YOUR kids face.

+ Focus on making the cupcakes and the cake and just make a frozen pizza for dinner that night. Served on paper plates. Less mess!

I swear I've done all the above and am actually proud of myself for cutting corners. In fact, if it were me, I'd buy the cake and dang cupcakes instead of baking them myself. Kudos to you for doing all that!

ETA: I hope your DH comes home soon and safely.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.