Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default S/O As a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up

And I don't mean when you were in high school and wanted to be a lawyer or a doctor. I mean your first memory of what you wanted to be when you grew up.

Personally at that age, I thought I would be an astronaut or a circus performer. Take your pick.
    DS1 6/07

DS2 2/12

khalloc is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

a Veterinarian
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008

I was a serious nerd as a little kid. My mother used to tease me that I was a "senior citizen" (I hated it but in looking back it was a weird joke on her part) and tell me I was "too serious". Anyway, I wanted to work in international relations. I had only a vague sense of what that would be but I thought I wanted to travel the world, be very cosmopolitan, read loads of books, and negotiate with people.
    DD '06
    DD '14

For most of my childhood either a teacher or a lawyer.

I do remember telling people that when I grew up I wanted to be "sexy" and my cousin telling me that another word for teacher was prostitute so I went and told my mom that I wanted to be a prostitute when I grew up. I think my mom was a little shocked when I told her that.
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012

When I was a wee child of 4 or 5, I wanted to be a flight attendant, as I loved flying on planes. Too bad I never dreamed of being the pilot!

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I really never knew and still don't!

I asked DD and DH and my dad last night after the poll yesterday. My dad said he had no clue either.
    (DD said policeman and DD said fireman, BTW)

I wish I would have known about more professions than the basics, you know?
    DD
    DS

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My earliest memory is of wanting to be a broadway actress. Then an astronaut. Then an interior designer. Then a marine biologist.

Looking back...
    I don't have the fortitude to wait tables while waiting for my big break;
    I don't have the understanding of physics or engineering to contribute to space exploration;
    I don't have a decorating bone in my body and my home is proof;
    and I don't like water that I can't see the bottom of, seaweed, or slimy water dwelling creatures.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

A ballerina. But my family didn't have money for dance lessons, and I was built like a lumberjack (very tall and sturdy).

I used to check ballet books out of the library and tried to teach myself.

Ceepa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Zookeeper.

I wanted to be a country music singer. I just KNEW I was going to be famous one day.

I do sing pretty well, but not that well.

I later decided I wanted to be a teacher, and stuck with that through my first degree. Now I'm pursuing my other dream of being a dentist.
    Stacy
    Wife to K
    Mommy to A (5) and twins E & S (1.5)

The biggest mistake I made is the one that most of us make...I did not live in the moment enough. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less. - Anna Quindlen

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast