Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    lowrioh is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Need thank you gift ideas

DH has been away for a couple of weeks and my mom and dad have come down to watch the girls for me while I'm at work. As usual, they didn't just help with the girls but went above and beyond the call of duty and did a lot of stuff around the house. For example, my Dad stripped the wallpaper and painted my kitchen and totally cleaned up our back yard (20 bags of yard waste).
    I want to do something nice for them but I don't have any great ideas. I was thinking a certificate to their favorite restaurant but that doesn't really seem special enough.
    They are both retired, have a lot of disposable income, want for nothing and don't have expensive taste. My dad is pretty trendy but mom...not so much.

Would a night at a B&B be a good idea? I was thinking Cape May NJ...

ANY other ideas?

div_0305 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

If they are not avid cooks, how about a meal delivery of something extra fancy and nice? Or would they be up for a couples massage/spa day?

BTW, it's so nice to have parents like that--both being able to help physically and wanting to help to such an extent. Your kids are very fortunate as well.

I would say a B+B would be nice! My parents stayed with our kids this summer (and the kids stayed in daycare during the day) and they did a ton of our to-do list that we never seem to get done-its such a blessing! They are not well off so we paid their travel pretty generously plus food costs etc and brought them home some goodies from where we stayed.
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)

Quote Originally Posted by div_0305 View Post
    If they are not avid cooks, how about a meal delivery of something extra fancy and nice? Or would they be up for a couples massage/spa day?

BTW, it's so nice to have parents like that--both being able to help physically and wanting to help to such an extent. Your kids are very fortunate as well.
    We are very fortunate to have such great family nearby. I read other people's posts on their relationships with their parents/ILs and I realize what a blessing they are.

mom2one is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I thought of an idea. Hire a chef to come to their house and cook them a wonderful meal. I have a friend who is trying to start her own business by doing this. I am sure there are some in your area too. You could also make it a party for 4 (have your parents invite over there best friends) and that way they could share their fun night with someone. (Chef usually does all the shopping, cooking and cleaning too!)

Let us know what you decide to do!

ewpmsw is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Have you seen those design-your-own photo books? Maybe one for each of them with pics of family and grandkids?

HonoluluMom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Parents are hard to shop for, especially when they really don't need anything. My parents are very similar.

How about something that they wouldn't buy for themselves, but really want or need (IYKWIM)? For example, my dad likes to read and I think he secretly wants a Kindle. My parents love to travel and "travel" clothes are something they really didn't think to get, so we got some for them. Or, how about a new Iphone?

I would think that grandparents never tire of photos of the family, so how about a nice canvas print or if possible, go in as a family (grandparents, parents, grandchildren) to take studio portraits?

Quote Originally Posted by HonoluluMom View Post
    Parents are hard to shop for, especially when they really don't need anything. My parents are very similar.

How about something that they wouldn't buy for themselves, but really want or need (IYKWIM)? For example, my dad likes to read and I think he secretly wants a Kindle. My parents love to travel and "travel" clothes are something they really didn't think to get, so we got some for them. Or, how about a new Iphone?

I would think that grandparents never tire of photos of the family, so how about a nice canvas print or if possible, go in as a family (grandparents, parents, grandchildren) to take studio portraits?
    My mom just got a Nook and my Dad ordered himself a new iPhone. Travel clothing may be a good idea.
    The portrait idea is a good one. My cousin is a pro-photographer so maybe I could organize my siblings and nieces for a group picture over Thanksgiving and get a canvas print made.

toby is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Harry and David Fruit of the Month? Also, Home Bistro makes very good pre-packaged meals that you just have to put in a pot of boiling water (shrimp linguine, chicken, pot roast are all good). If you do this, make sure that you order from the Home Bistro list and NOT the Dine Wise.

Default Membership?

Professional picture (that is what my Mom loves)
    Membership to a musuem/garden in the area?
    Weekend at the Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast