infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default If you do FlyLady...does your DH help out?

I am thinking about signing up for her service but I wonder if you DHs help out or is the list just for you? We both WOFT and I am getting a bit overwhelmed.
    Any other sites besides Flylady?

Can't wait to hear about systems that could work for families that WOTH, especially FT!

I'm sitting here, almost too overwhelmed to get started. And this occurs every weekend. Obviously, I need to work out some sort of system!
    --Mimi
    Mom to Lala (2004), Bonus Mom to Big Sis 1 (1991) and Big Sis 2 (1992)
    Grammy to Big Kindy Kid (2011), Big Pre-K Kid (2012),
    Grandbaby Appendage (2014), and New Baby Grandboy (summer 2017)

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I did not sign up for her service as I decided the regular email approach was not what I/we needed as a family. ETA: from what I have read elsewhere this is the part that is hard for WOTH families. When her email arrive but you can't really attack the problem right then. But, I could be wrong.

I did, however, check her book "Sink Reflections" out of the library and I read it out loud in the car to Dh and Ds1.

Dh was the one who followed her baby steps. He is generally in charge of kitchen things so he was the one who had to get on board with polishing the sink and the first few steps. He was game to try and really did follow along for awhile then things fell away after we took a trip. But, Dh really warmed to her approach and gave it a good try with good humor.

Also, fwiw, Ds1 really loved that book. He requested that I read and re-read chapters, and he truly embraced some of her mottos. It really helped him get on board with purging toys and donating things he/we don't use.

We still use many of her ideas though not the whole system and our house shows it (its the worse for not doing more)!

Dh is also a big fan of the Holiday Grand Plan approach. They have a winter holiday version plus one for spring and others. We stuck to this one better and, again, Dh was very instrumental in our progress and very involved. A lot of the projects identified were his so he easily did more than 50% of the work. This plan is not just focused on regular cleaning but you very much tailor it to your needs.

ETA: Dh and I were both WOTH when we tried the two approaches so most of our efforts were on weekends and evenings after bedtime.
    Last edited by Simon; 10-16-2011 at 09:46 AM.
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).

I wonder if Motivated Moms would be less regimented but still productive.

I love Simon's idea of reading the book as a family. I have looked back at Flylady these days as our schedule has changed so drastically in the last couple months. I did not sign up for emails, years ago I had and it was just added stress on me. I did print out sections from the site to help guide me in setting up a schedule for our family. The concept can work for woth families. It has to be adjusted since it calls for midday chores. Basically we have started with laundry every morning and every evening, DH then also hits the washer at night after work. He also does plenty of other things around, but we have not gotten too organized with it yet. There are listing jobs for every day on Flylady. I need to tweak what she's got to work for us. The goal for our family is to have Saturday off from cleaning (our only day everyone is off) and that I am not stressing after coming home from Sunday services.

I also really like Emilie Barnes' site and books, especially the book "The 15 Minute Organizer". http://www.emiliebarnes.com/home/

Overall I think all of them call for getting a routine together for your life and sticking with it. I will definitely be watching this thread though!
    Last edited by MamaKath; 10-16-2011 at 12:07 PM.
    All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
    ~Abraham Lincoln~

I'll be checking out Sink Reflections. Thanks.

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I haven't been following it in the past month or two, but we've used Motivated Moms successfully before. I SAHM, but I homeschool. DH is a huge help and he really liked the MM checklist. He often wears my youngest on his back at night while I'm getting the older kids to bed, and that gets DS2 drowsy. He has mentioned that he likes the checklist as it facilitates communication and he has ideas for things he can do while he wears DS2 on his back.

I like MMs because IME it is less intense than Flylady. Less intense is a good fit for us at this stage of the game
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

Pear is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Motivated Moms works pretty well for us. I look at it more as a weekly list than a daily list. DH likes having a concrete list and we just cross off whatever each of us does.

MM looks great. I'm going to spend the $4 for the rest of the year to see how it works out. Thanks all.