Default Vreader or other reading system

So my 4 year old just can't seem to get the concept of reading. She knows all the letters and the sounds all the letters make, but as soon as she starts to put them together, she starts to guess the words and we are getting nowhere. This has been the case for a while now with no progress.

I saw a vreader in the store the others day. Is that any good at helping kids to read? are there any other tools out there that would help out?

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

In this case, just time. She probably isn't ready. And when she is ready, she will take off like crazy. Some children read at four. Most don't and that is OK.

V-readers are a fun toy but they don't make a child who isn't quite ready into a reader.

Just keep reading to her. Keep giving her the opportunity to try but don't push it and don't make a big deal about it. Keep it fun. You want a child that loves to read, not a child that dreads it.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

Quote Originally Posted by EQ_Bo_07 View Post
    So my 4 year old just can't seem to get the concept of reading. She knows all the letters and the sounds all the letters make, but as soon as she starts to put them together, she starts to guess the words and we are getting nowhere. This has been the case for a while now with no progress.

I saw a vreader in the store the others day. Is that any good at helping kids to read? are there any other tools out there that would help out?
    Adam was the same way. He knew all of his letters and their sounds by age two, and then he hit a wall. If we tried to help him sound things out, he just shut down.

We bought him all of the gadgets/toys/movies (Leap pad, Fisher Price Storybook Reader thing, tag reader, preschool prep videos, Leapfrog videos). He would watch the videos but ignored the toys.

Suddenly, sometime in his fourth year, he became an AMAZING reader. The speed and skill that he reads with thrills me. If he doesn't recognize a word, he stops and sounds it out, with mixed success.

My advice to you is to save your money on the toys and gizmos, maybe grab a couple of cheap reading DVDs (I recommend the Preschool Prep and Leapfrog series), and, of course, keep reading to DD. One day soon it will "click" for her.

I was a very early reader, so it was frustrating to me that Adam was so reluctant. But it will come together, soon, and IMO the doo-dads are not helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jo View Post
    . He would watch the videos but ignored the toys.
    We didn't push any reading skills, but the Leapfrog videos got amazing results anyway. If you are interested getting him to blend letter sounds, try out Talking Words Factory:

http://www.amazon.com/LeapFrog-Talki...mm_dvd_title_0
    ~C~

Mama to a curious daughter born in May 2006 and a persistent son born in July 2008.

KrisM is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

DD is 5 and has wanted to learn to read for about a year. She's known sounds for a long time. We have the Leapfrog DVDs and the Preschool Prep DVDs. She still doesn't read. I'm so hoping she gets it soon. They're working on it in kindergarten now and she's very bummed that other kids can read and she can't .

So, yeah, they read when they're ready, really.
    Kris

tiapam is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by EQ_Bo_07 View Post

she can't get the concept because she is not ready. what is the big hurry? is she upset because she can't read? or are you? you don't need tools to teach reading, just time and patience.
    -Pam

DD: 6 YO
    DS: 3 YO

jenmcadams is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ellies mom View Post
    In this case, just time. She probably isn't ready. And when she is ready, she will take off like crazy. Some children read at four. Most don't and that is OK.

My DD was one of those kids who definitely didn't start reading until K and my DS was a super early reader (his choice, not mine) -- in both cases, they read when they were ready. While I completely think you can't make a 4 year old read if they're not ready, if you're looking for something that might help, I would avoid the high tech toys and look to the web for free resources. I loved www.starfall.com for both of our kids. The Letters section (can't remember what it's called) is great for emphasizing the letter sounds and then my kids both worked through the Learn to Read section when they were ready for it (for my DD that was mid-way through K and for my DS that was around 3 1/2).
    Mom to a DD (8/02) and a DS (6/05)

My kiddo was an early reader, not due to doo dads, I think. What research I've come across indicates that early reading doesn't equal best readers long term.

Keep waiting and wait for their interest.