Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Did any of your teachers get arrested?

Watching the news about the Ohio teacher who's going to jail for sleeping with five of her high school students made me curious. Did any of your teachers get in trouble for things like this?
    ~~AngelaS~~
    Mommy to 3 girls: A, G and M. (15, 11 and 8.5)

The education of all children, from the moment that they can get along without a mother's care, shall be in state institutions at state expense.
    – Karl Marx, "The Communist Manifesto"

One of my high school teachers was arrested on child molestation charges although as I recall the children involved were in his scout troop and younger than high school age. One of the drivers education teachers was rumored to behave very inappropriately with the girls, although the rumors were not detailed. I refused to take drivers education because of this and my parents thought I was being silly to listen to the rumors but did not force me. A year or two later he was fired, supposed for this reason. As far as I know there was no arrest. Dreadful.

Catherine

When I was in high school, my best friend had a full blown relationship with a student teacher. It was consensual, and her parents AND the mentoring teacher knew about it. As well as a good portion of the kids.

I don't think it's anything new. I think that since the advent of online news, local news is more likely to be national news, and incidents like the one the OP described get a lot of press and attention. When I was in high school, that kind of news would have been scandalous in town, but wouldn't have made the New York Times or CNN.
    Last edited by Green_Tea; 10-28-2011 at 09:01 AM.
    Green Tea, mom to three

6th grade teacher was arrested for DWI and it wasn't his first. He was not fired. I think they may have forced him to get treatment and he must have gone when the school year finished as I know he missed the first day after he was arrested but was back after that till the end of the year. I do not believe he ever received another DWI.

blisstwins is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Yes. My high school physics teacher was arrested for being a leader of NAMBLA (the National Boy Love Association or something sick like that). I always disliked him and thought he was gross.

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

No, but my priest was. Bad, bad story.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

my high school art teacher in Jamaica was fired for inappropriate conduct with girls. I hated him. I'm not sure if he was arrested or not though
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Yup, a couple. One science teacher had a "photography studio" and took pictures of girls when they were changing into their "modeling outfits." The creepy thing was he would sit and just WATCH us during silent reading time, his face would be all flushed red. I always said he was thinking bad things...

And a coach for some type of inappropriate behavior with girls. He was also a bit odd, but not as creepy as Science teacher.

This made me believe in listening to your gut. I always knew something was off with these guys. And I was in another situation once where my gut said something was off, and unfortunately it turned out to be true.
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

KrystalS is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

When I was a senior in high school one of the students had an affair with a married coach, she was a sophomore and the coach was in his late 20s. It was a really small town and everyone ended up finding out. The coach was fired the year after I graduated.

Crazy part is they ended up getting married after she graduated!! It was the talk of the town for years. They are still married now, and he was never arrested or anything even though she was only 16 when it started.
    -Krystal

DD 2/04
    DS 10/5/10

No! And I've never heard anything about my parents' colleagues either. But my DH's school was plagued with problems like this back when he was a student, and even recently they were all over the news. He went to a super fancy all boys private. DS will not be going there.
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast