fedoragirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default 21 month old go to dentist after a fall?

DD has never been to the dentist. She fell on her face on Fri. at preschool. They iced the bruise but on Sat. I noticed a greyish tint to her front two teeth. I am assuming this is because of the fall. Should we take her to the dentist to make sure no permanent damage was done? What should we expect?
    3 year old DD
    2 year old DS

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Yes, I would go in. It should be an easy thing for them to check. I don't know what they would do for her though. Hope all is well!

Beth

azazela is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Definitely take her in so that they can assess the damage. I had a similar situation with my 4 year old except for she has already been to the dentist on a number of occasions by that time. The grey tint in our case didn't come until a while later but it's definitely still there after an August fall. I'm hoping we're not stuck with it until the baby tooth falls out...
    Anna, mommy to DD 11/06 and DS 3/10

veronica is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

the grey tint is from damage of the fall. It is root/nerve damage. the tooth will stay that color until it falls out.

I'd go in to make sure that it is not loose or has not shifted in the gums.

for any fall, the color change can take up to 6 months to appear.

I had a dead tooth when I was a kid. It showed up grey in all of my pictures. DD fell on her walker and the tip of one of her teeth just pulverized. She was 18 months old. I rushed her to our dentist who confirmed that it was not loose but did tell us that it could take a long while for any damage to show with a discoloration. it never did, she is almost 6 and her tooth is just chipped.

ODS on the other hand has a grey front tooth and we have no clue when the damage even happened but it's not loose and we just have to wait it out....
    DD 12/05
    DS 07/07
    Twin DS's 5.18.2011

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

For both of my kids their first dentist visit was due to falling & chipping a tooth. It is doubtful the dentist can do anything but it should be checked out. For my DC the visits were very easy... They sat in my lap while the dentist looked & neither were scared by the visit. They both love the dentist now.

fedoragirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thank you for sharing your experiences. I will make an appt. for her tomorrow.
    3 year old DD
    2 year old DS