Default need a quick no-cook snack for 6 boys

I'm in charge of leading the cub scouts meeting next month, and I need to have the 6 6-year old boys make a snack. The kicker is that we meet in a community room, which has no microwave or cooking capabilities. There is a refrigerator, but the snack needs to be fairly quick, about 15 minutes total.

I'm thinking maybe having the boys make dirt cups (pudding in a plastic cup, crushed oreos for dirt, and a couple of gummy worms). Is this too sugary for a 6:30pm meeting (I think most kids haven't had dinner yet).

Any other ideas? I could bring my electric skillet and do green eggs and ham...which might be nice since it's been chilly out...

Thanks,
    Jennifer

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

If you have no peanut allergies, I still remember making these as a kid in Brownies. Love them! Peanut butter oatmeal balls:
    http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,181,...232197,00.html

Beth

DS just made his own snack mix. We gave options like yogurt covered raisins, chex cereal, dried blueberries, mini pretzels, etc. He loved being able to decide how much of each he wanted in his "mix". Obviously, you could use all kinds of different dried fruits, nuts (if no allergies), chocolate covered raisins, - you get the idea. We just used a small measuring cup or a small paper/plastic cup could work for measuring out everything.
    -----------------------
    Karen

How about yogurt parfaits? Or fruit and cheese kabobs?

Catherine

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Graham crackers with peanut/sun nut butter and assorted toppings: rasins, dried cranberries, chocolate chips...

A little sweet but a little protein too.
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

ants on a log? Celery .. have the kids fill with peanut butter and then put raisins (ants) on them.

fruit skewers ... you precut the fruit and let the kids assemble the skewers

we made mud n dirt cups with DS2's Kinder class last year and the kids enjoyed it!

Kindra178 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Love the idea of making trail mix. Granola, pretzels, raisins or other dried fruit, yogurt covered dried fruit, soy nuts. You could set it out like a bar and give everyone a ziploc or bowl. The floor might be messy though!

Quote Originally Posted by Tondi G View Post
    ants on a log? Celery .. have the kids fill with peanut butter and then put raisins (ants) on them.
    This sounds like the most appropriate (read: nutritious) snack to me, especially if the kids haven't eaten dinner yet. Personally, I really like to eat "ants on a log". I actually had a disagreement with DH yesterday about what constitutes a "snack" vs a "treat". I say sugary things (eg. pudding, lollipops etc) aren't snacks; those are treats. IMO snacks are nutritious things (apples, cheese & crackers etc). Both snacks & treats have their place, but I say snacks go before/between meals, and treats come after meals.
    DD 2/06
    DS1 2/09
    DS2 12/11

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    If you have no peanut allergies, I still remember making these as a kid in Brownies. Love them! Peanut butter oatmeal balls:
    http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,181,...232197,00.html

Beth
    I've never had these and am curious--Is the taste/texture similar to raw cookie dough? Just trying to imagine what they come out like

Twin Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

They made these at Publix when they do the sample dinner meals and my DC loved them. Rice crispy treat sushi. You need rice crispy treats (the packaged kind are fine), fruit roll ups and gummy worms.

Basically you split each rice krispy treat in half and stick a gummy worm in the middle and then cover around the sides with the fruit roll up so it looks like sushi. I'm sure you can google this for pictures and directions but this should give you a general idea.
    Mom to b/g twins (g in college, b working)

People show themselves not by what they say but by what they do

Our happiness or our unhappiness depends far more on the way we meet the events of life than on the nature of those events themselves. -- Wilhelm von Humboldt