Default We need to replace our furnace. :(

We just found out today that the inside of our furnace is cracked and needs to be replaced ASAP. It's going to be expensive.

This is not the news I want to hear today since we've been super busy this past week and a half car shopping because DH's car got totaled in an accident.

And this is right after we paid the architect his initial fees to do drawings for our home addition.

Sigh. What else can possibly be dumped onto us now?
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Oh no. Check if there's still a tax rebate...MIL told me last weekend they replaced their furnace and the rebate helped...but not sure if still available or what the details are

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

If you are with one of the big utility companies some of them have low or no interest loans to upgrade your furnace/boiler. I know this because I have a small electric company and oil and don't qualify.

alien_host is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Ack...not good. I hope your DH is ok after the accident!

Check with MassSave. we replaced our boiler and got a rebate and also a tax credit on our tax return, but this was several years ago. I have no idea if those programs are still running though. Well work looking around as we did save quite a bit of $.

Good luck and I hope nothing else comes your way.

chlobo is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

A friend was able to get a zero percent interest loan for their new furnace, from the utility company. So they basically were able to pay off the furnace over 5 years without any penalties. And they saved money too boot as the new furnace was way more efficient than the old one.

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Ugh! I feel your pain. I know this doesn't help now, but at least it didn't happen in February. Last winter our furnace blew on a Friday and it wasn't replaced for almost 2 weeks. It sucked big time and of course came during a serious cold spell. I was floored at the cost. I hope you find a good deal.

jal is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    Oh no. Check if there's still a tax rebate...MIL told me last weekend they replaced their furnace and the rebate helped...but not sure if still available or what the details are
    There WAS an IRS energy tax credit (up to $1,500) for installing certain energy efficient furnaces. But that tax credit was for equipment installed in 2009 & 2010. The tax credit didn't really help to pay for the replacement of a furnace, but it did paid for most if not all of the cost to upgrade to more energy efficient equipment.

If your furnance uses natural gas, you might want to check with your local gas company to see if they have any rebates. Our local gas company seems to perpetually have rebates for getting a gas furnance or gas water heater installed/replaced. The amount is relatively small (around $100) compared to the cost of the replacement, but every little bit helps.

Wait a minute... just a follow-up. The tax credits did get extended for 2011, but at much lower levels:
    http://energystar.supportportal.com/...estionID=32129
    Again, the tax credit isn't going to help with the cost of a new furnance. It is only going to help pay the cost of upgrading to more energy efficient equipment. But where the $1,500 level helped pay for most of the upgrade cost, the new $500 limit only covers a small portion of the cost for upgraded equipement.

So if money is tight and you don't have the extra cash to pay for more expensive equipment, the IRS tax credit isn't going to help you.
    Last edited by jal; 11-08-2011 at 06:13 PM.

Thanks for the information about the rebates. We have an oil furnace so no deals with the utility companies. Fortunately, it's been unusually warm here, so we're okay. But apparently, I'm the only one cold in the house. I keep asking the kids if they're cold and they say they're fine.

On a positive note, our mortgage finally closed so we are good to go on our house addition.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)