Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    almostamom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

When DS was about 19 mos old, we noticed the cafe au lait spots on his torso. Our doctor suspected NF and referred us to the Children's Hospital. We waited 3 long months for an appt. Then we found out it was NOTHING. I understand your fear, but please step away from Google.

mctlaw is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Sending you P & PTs.
    MC

Fair Queen-Ruler of the House of Boys
    Mom to DS 3/06
    DS 2 6/12
    and a 12 year old (boy) min pin

Default Ped. said not to worry

Yeah, easier said than done! I had an appt with a ped. who has only been out of residency for two years. For some reason, I do not trust his judgment as much as I do our own pediatrician. I guess I felt a little uneasy when he said he had to "go look it up", and left the room for a few minutes. Granted, he does know about NF, but had never heard the association with children and gray hair. The gray hair is not one of the diagnostic criteria, just an associated sign, sometimes.

He told me that if you look at any head of hair, you are sure to see differently colored hair strands. He was not alarmed that my son has three GRAY hairs. I asked if we should do vitamin deficiency or thyroid study (thanks, google), but he said to not worry.

DS has four cafe au lait spots on his torso; have to have at least six to be significant. The Dr. thought that the freckle in his axilla was a mole, not a freckle.

I do feel a bit better after the appt, however, I will always be concerned about this now. Some kids do not show other signs/symptoms until puberty.

Do you know of any other child that has had gray hair?

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers.

Michelle

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

He was older when I noticed them by my now 20 yr old had quite a few grays while still in high school. A girl I worked with started using hair color at 17 to cover her grays.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Quote Originally Posted by jordansmommyin stlouis View Post
    Do you know of any other child that has had gray hair?
    Sending P&PT because I totally get being worried that your child has some condition that hasn't been diagnosed yet. I would try not to worry, though, because even though I also exhaustively research everything, I would definitely trust my child's pediatrician over Dr. Google.

But I wanted to tell you that DD1 has always had a couple of gray hairs on her head. It didn't even occur to me to worry about them! I vaguely remember asking her pediatrician when she was 3-ish about them and she said it was totally normal for a child to have a gray hair or two, they're just more noticeable when the child in question has darker hair, as DD1 does.

Sarah
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

one of my best friends has had gray hair since he was in highschool (14/15) and probably before that-- it was significant gray at that time.

i wanted to add that i'm sorry you have to worry about this (and didn't mean to sound dismissive when mentioning my friend)

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I hope all is well!!!

Beth

P&PT! I hope everything went well at today's appointment! I have been thinking of you and your son today!

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Re: gray hair - an ex-boyfriend and his dad had a weird little bald spot right at the base of their heads in the back. In the exact same spot, his brother had a little patch of gray hair but no bald spot - so gray basically since birth. Just a weird quirk, they're all fine, I hope your DS is fine!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast