elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Sweet Valley High Movie and Sequel to Before Sunrise

Two really cool movies that I hope get made:

Diablo Cody (the screenwriter for Juno) is working on writing a screenplay for a movie of Sweet Valley High. I would love her offbeat take on those books!

Ethan Hawke says they are planning to write another sequel to Before Sunrise. I love that movie and I love its sequel Before Sunset.

Anyone else excited about these potential movies?

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Sweet Valley High - oh, I will never forget the fate of poor deaf Regina!
    I can't see it being a good movie, because it wouldn't work straight and too campy would be ... I don't know, cheap. But Diablo Cody can write, so good luck to her.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

Quote Originally Posted by elbenn View Post
    Ethan Hawke says they are planning to write another sequel to Before Sunrise. I love that movie and I love its sequel Before Sunset.
    I'd watch this one in a heartbeat. I loved the line in the second movie when they asked Jesse if his book was autobiographical and he replied "Isn't everything?"
    DD 2/06
    DS1 2/09
    DS2 12/11

liamsmom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wellyes View Post
    Sweet Valley High - oh, I will never forget the fate of poor deaf Regina!
    I can't see it being a good movie, because it wouldn't work straight and too campy would be ... I don't know, cheap. But Diablo Cody can write, so good luck to her.
    Poor Regina Morrow. She was my favorite.

I think I heard that DC is setting the script in the 80s, which gives me a lot of hope.

I can't stand Ethan Hawke, but I love the Before movies. DH and I lived in Vienna for a year. One day I made him go to the cemetery Jesse and Celeste visit. It's WAY out of town, not exactly a short walk from the city center.

BayGirl2 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I so hope theres a SVH movie. I just read the sequal book that came out. Takes me back to middle school.....
    Amy

DS - June 2009
    DD - September 2011

elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by BayGirl2 View Post
    I so hope theres a SVH movie. I just read the sequal book that came out. Takes me back to middle school.....
    I haven't read the sequel book but I read the reviews on Amazon and some of the reviews are pretty funny. It sounds like the author has many, many inconsistencies in her book. Maybe the author didn't take all of the details as seriously as all of us middle schoolers did!

BayGirl2 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by elbenn View Post
    I haven't read the sequel book but I read the reviews on Amazon and some of the reviews are pretty funny. It sounds like the author has many, many inconsistencies in her book. Maybe the author didn't take all of the details as seriously as all of us middle schoolers did!
    Totally. But then I'm not so sure the original books were that high quality anyway. My reading teacher used to hate that we read them. I think she rated them at a 4th grade reading level. They were like reality TV before reality tv existed.
    Amy

DS - June 2009
    DD - September 2011