niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Help - ski pants for skinny boy

DS is very slim. A 6 skinny jeans fit him with room to spare. I normally have to get slim pants for him, and even then some cuts are too big. I think I need a size 6 for length, but his waist is 21", and most size 6 have 23-24" waist.

I need to get ski pants. I was going to get LLBean pants, but reviews say fits big. I've convinced DS that bibs might be better for him. The LLbean ones are on back order until Dec 14. I don't need them for several more days, but worried they'll take longer.

I might just have to take him to a few sporting good stores this weekend and have him try on pants and bibs.

nupe is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I have some lands end boys snow pants from maybe three years ago that are adjustable waist on the outside, just like my mountain hardwear ski pants. Might be worth calling le to see if they have similar styles now.
    Nupe
    DS1 2004
    DS2 2007

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Bibs are definitely better for skinny boys. The LLB ones run a little large but the LE run really, really large.

Edited to add

The LLB Snowfield bibs are in stock right now. A little more money but maybe not worth the hassle of buying two pairs?
    Last edited by Kindra178; 11-26-2011 at 12:07 PM.

cono0507 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Definitely go with bibs. My 6 yo DS is super skinny and tall with a waist just under 19". He's wearing LLB bibs in 6x/7 this year and they are working out great. If I were you and wanted the LLB bibs, I'd order them but find a pair at B&M just in case the LLB ones don't arrive in time. Sports stores are probably a good bet. You can just return them if you don't end up using them if the LLB ones arrive.

Beth24 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Bibs are a good idea. But if he wants pants, take him to REI or Sports Chalet and try on some brands of actual ski wear, like Spyder, as opposed to snow pants like LE sells or even snowboard pants which are cut really baggy. Ski clothes tend to run smaller. My kids have had good luck with Spyder, Phenix and Obermeyer.
    DS, 15
    DD, 10
    DS, 3

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Thanks all. We're going to take him to one of the sporting stores that's having a big sale. I checked their prices online and same as LL Bean non-sale price, but knowing they fit and not having to return them will help. He's difficult to buy for because he's all leg and no waist/bottom.

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Ds1 is a size 6 slim in pants (they are just a touch long for him) and he is wearing Colombia bib snow pants and some REI (non-bib) snow pants in size 4/5. They are just long enough and slim enough for him. He was swimming in the REI 6/7.
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).