Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default what to do with a popped burn blister?

5 days after my burn incident, I have a crazy rash on my leg. some parts of it are thick and red, but no burn scar. there are also some areas with sparse red bumps. both areas are sooooo itchy. I don't know if it's a reaction to the silvadene or what, so I stopped applying the cream and removed the gauze dressing (which I changed twice a day), and applied aloe vera gel. today it looked less red but is still super itchy.

unfortunately one of the burn blisters just broke accidentally and i now have an open area that is still raw. about dime sized. should I put anything on it? I don't want to put the silvadene in case I have an allergy to it. I just covered it with a small gauze for now. tia!

dcmom2b3 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'm so unqualified to give advice, I hope that some of our medical folks will chime in.

What I have done in the past with popped burn blisters is put Neosporin on them and cover them, just like you've done. But these weren't as extensive as your burn is; I can't help thinking that fact could come into play, maybe warrant a different treatment? Hugs, wishing you a speedy recovery!
    M-H

"Mombee" to my Bunny

when DD was extensively burned after they debrided it they slathered her in bacitracin to keep it moist. They did not use silvadine at all.
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Medical folk here, I have done burns..

Yes, the itchiness can be a sign of healing. It can also be a reaction to the silvadene, but not necessarily an allergic reaction, more of a side effect. The way one should put silvadene on is very thick all over the burn area so you still see some on the bandage when you change. Some times we will switch to bacitracin or other topical antibiotic for some burns on the edges. You should be putting something on the open blister, but it may just require antibiotic ointment not silvadene. Hard to give you good advice without looking at it.

I would go back to the doctor at this point, let him/her see the healing and skin reaction at this point and they can change the care as needed. You may be able to switch to another topical antibiotic or do a combination. Obviously the major concern is infection and necrosis of the tissue. Don't do the Aloe Vera, who knows what is in that stuff.

I know that going to the doctor again is a PIA, but even I would do it at this point, just to get another set of eyes of the progress of the burn and healing.

thank you. this burn is so annoying. I'm wondering if it might be an infection where I better be putting more cream, or an allergy where I should stop applying cream. I have no idea!

dcmom2b3 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Itching *could* be part of the healing process. Or not. It might be time for a call (or another visit?) to the folks who prescribed the cream . . .
    M-H

"Mombee" to my Bunny

Are you putting the silvadene only directly on the burned areas? Do you debride at dressing changes? I had a pretty bad burn last year and was doing this process. I do remember redness around the actual burn, and I know that the nurses told us to be careful not to get the silvadene on healthy skin. The burn, the debriding, the dressing all added up to some pretty angry skin for a while in the whole general area.

I'd give your provider a call and have them check it out. It's good to have them check on your wound care anyway - better care=less scarring. Stick with the silvadene if you are able - it is kind of a miracle healer on burns, or at least that's what they told me.

Hope you continue to heal without more pain!!
    Susan

Thatcher Bennett 9/01
    Ava Grace 9/07

mjs64 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

OP, I had a really bad burn a few years ago, and the itching was terrible! My GP said that it was a sign that it was healing and to keep up the silvadene cream. That said, I am in no way a medical professional and am definitely not qualified to give medical advice. Just a little BTDT. I hope you feel better soon.

ETA: My burn covered a very large portion of skin. Once the blisters popped, I continued applying silvadene to the wound. Do check with a professional.
    Last edited by mjs64; 11-29-2011 at 04:17 AM.
    My baby boy is 3!

thanks all for the replies. so last night I put a thick layer of the silvadene on the burnt skin only. covered once again with gauze. less itchiness! got some bacitracin just in case. how long does this last? the dr said 3 days but it's already been twice that long.