Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    cntrymoon2 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Need quick help with CL safety

So I've got a woman supposedly coming to my house in 30 minutes for a rather large CL purchase ($275 is the agreed on price). I get weird vibes from her emails. I am home alone with DD who should be napping. I don't have any neighbors home nearby.
    Is there anything extra I should be doing for safety/precaution? I have told her cash only, (she had suggested paypal, and I said no paypal, no checks- she didn't respond to that but did say she was going to leave right now because the item was first come, first serve and she really wants it).
    I don't know, I am probably just being paranoid, but I am getting weird vibes. This isn't my first CL transaction, I've even had people come to the house before.

rin is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Could you tell her that you have to be fast because you have guests coming over for coffee in a few minutes? Better still, is there anyone close by who you could ask to actually come over for coffee?

Hmm. I would call someone at least so they know and tell them you will call them back when it's done or even have them on the phone.

Does the person have to come inside your house? I would try to meet them outside if possible, even if it's something big, if they buy it, you are going to bring it out anyway.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

Quote Originally Posted by AngB View Post
    Hmm. I would call someone at least so they know and tell them you will call them back when it's done or even have them on the phone.

Does the person have to come inside your house? I would try to meet them outside if possible, even if it's something big, if they buy it, you are going to bring it out anyway.
    I was going to suggest something similar. I usually will call someone on my cell phone and tell them what is going on, or have them on the phone when I have repair people over and I am alone.

mom to one girl, 9.5 years old
    and one boy, 5 years old

rin is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Also, thinking about what PP suggested, you could make sure to tell her that you have to call someone back right afterwards.

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

How big is the item? Make sure she actually hands you the cash before she loads it into your car.

If you're worried about personal safety maybe have your cell on speakerphone right beside you with DH or a friend listening just in case.

Or just tell her to be quick because your brother the cop is coming over in a few minutes.

Those are all great suggestions, thank you! I already called my mom and my husband and they know to worry if I don't call them back after this woman leaves.
    The item is big, so I have to put it in my foyer and I'll have to open the front door to her (eh.) I'd rather have it outside, but then I'd worry about her just loading it in her car without handing me cash first.
    I emailed my phone number and asked her to call me. I think I'll feel better when I talk to her on the phone- it just seems sketchy that she's so hot to trot to drive an hour to get to my house for this item yet hasn't given me her number or called me (or responded to the no paypal email).

Thanks for all the quick tips, everyone!

I always tell myself that if someone really wanted to hurt a random person, it's really not that smart to do it via CL and leave a papertrail plus not even know the circumstances they are coming into (like your dh could be home, your next door neighbor could be a cop and home, you could have a giant protective pitbull, etc etc). It would be a lot easier for them to pick someone randomly somewhere deserted, etc.,(I watch too much Criminal Minds, clearly. ) so most likely, it is fine and safe. But never hurts to be extra cautious, even when I'm meeting someone somewhere busy like Walmart, I always make sure DH knows.

I'd probably lock dd's door (assuming you have a key and can to do it safely without freaking her out), just to be extra overly cautious/paranoid, especially if they are buying something kid related.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

Quote Originally Posted by AngB View Post
    I'd probably lock dd's door (assuming you have a key and can to do it safely without freaking her out), just to be extra overly cautious/paranoid, especially if they are buying something kid related.
    Oooohhh, that's another good idea! Thanks

This won't help for this instance, but if I got weird vibes I'd just move on to the next buyer. Trust your instincts.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast