Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

They may also be able to find an advocate.

One other thing off the top of my head is that some districts have parent-run support groups for special needs. Parents who have BTDT within a particular district may have useful insight in navigating the system within the district.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Also see if the child's hearing aid is working as it should be. I just did my audiology final, my professor told us so many stories of people with hearing aids, who are having difficulty, and the programming is all incorrect for the hearing aid. They need to see an audiologist for this

For services at school, tell her to talk to the school's audiologist - there aren't many in each district, so they serve several schools. The school's SLP is another person to talk to.

Our professor kept telling us that kids get more services when parents know their rights and what's available. Eg. if do certain tests can make a case to use a FM system in the classroom etc.

Some teachers don't understand the educational impact of a hearing loss - even a mild loss can have detrimental effect on academic performance. For a project, we had to simulate deafness in a child, I used DS with earplugs and headphones, and at 12', with amount of noise expect in classroom, he could only repeat back 40% of what we said. You could see him struggling to work out the words, and if he heard 1 or 2, he would guess the rest of the sentence. And he got tired very quickly.
    Last edited by niccig; 12-13-2011 at 10:48 PM.

I am confused as to how the federal funds for military dependents ties in, unless the parent you are asking on behalf of is active duty?

If that is the case, please refer him to the following resources:

1) He is REQUIRED to enroll his son in the Exceptional Family Member Program and NO, it will NOT damage his career.
    http://www.militaryhomefront.dod.mil....565.0.0.0.0.0

2) All branches now have DoD mandated School Liasion Officers. All large installations have them and smaller installations might have them regionally. The purpose is to assist military dependents in just the exact scenario you describe. They are advocates, trained in education law and can assist in negotiating with the school district in IEP's etc.
    http://www.militaryk12partners.dodea...?colId=liaison

3) When all else fails...call Military One Source at 1-800-342-9647

As for the funds for military kids...you have some answers that are pretty close. It is because active duty service members are not required to pay state income tax in the state they are stationed in. They typically pay their state taxes to the state which is their "home of record", which means the state they reside in is footing the bill for their childrens public education while not collecting tax from them.
    ---------
    A-M
    happy mother to DD1, 7/08 & DD2, 2/12
    charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society, 1/11

I believe in the power of BBB Good Mojo.
    ---------

Quote Originally Posted by amldaley View Post
    As for the funds for military kids...you have some answers that are pretty close. It is because active duty service members are not required to pay state income tax in the state they are stationed in. They typically pay their state taxes to the state which is their "home of record", which means the state they reside in is footing the bill for their childrens public education while not collecting tax from them.
    Yes! That's what I was trying to explain. Thanks for your clarity

Also, I really appreciate the info. you gave in your previous post. I'm sure it will go a long way to help some parents here. Sometimes no one reaches out and shares that kind of info. in real life.

I just went to a parents meeting the other idea for kids with special needs & learning disabilities in the school system. There was a military mom there who spoke and gave out this information, and I was blown away with how cool it was. I don't think any of that was around when my brother was in school 30 years ago (we were a military family)--and my poor mother could have really used some help.
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

Quote Originally Posted by jellibeans View Post
    The IEP's were brought from his previous school and given to this school in August.

Thanks everyone for all of the info.
    The school is required to implement his previous IEP until they develop their own.
    C
    DS1 (04)
    DS2 (07)

Quote Originally Posted by daisymommy View Post
    Yes! That's what I was trying to explain. Thanks for your clarity

Also, I really appreciate the info. you gave in your previous post. I'm sure it will go a long way to help some parents here. Sometimes no one reaches out and shares that kind of info. in real life.

I just went to a parents meeting the other idea for kids with special needs & learning disabilities in the school system. There was a military mom there who spoke and gave out this information, and I was blown away with how cool it was. I don't think any of that was around when my brother was in school 30 years ago (we were a military family)--and my poor mother could have really used some help.
    None of that stuff was even around 10 years ago! (Well, EFMP was but not in it's current incarnation). There have been great strides in services & benefits for military families in the last 10 years - but now we have to get people to use these services!
    ---------
    A-M
    happy mother to DD1, 7/08 & DD2, 2/12
    charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society, 1/11

I believe in the power of BBB Good Mojo.
    ---------

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2