Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Twoboos View Post
    What's the deal with these - one reviewer said they're not warm(?!), and someone said they are very narrow. Hmmmmm.... Anyone have any experience with Sorels?

I wanted the Kamik Scarlet when they were on sale for $65 a day or so ago, and DH didn't buy even though I told him to (grrrr...) and these look pretty similar!
    http://www.amazon.com/Kamik-Womens-S...3980619&sr=8-1
    Sorels and Kamiks are both Canadian in origin. Sorel used to be made in Kitchener/Waterloo, ON (though they're named after Sorel, Quebec) but they were bought out by Columbia a few years back and are now trying to be "fashion" boots. Kamiks are still made here in QC. They're both known to be very, very warm. As in, DH used to wear his Sorels when he was working in the bush and sitting on drills in Labrador and the Yukon during the winter (he was a geologist). Based on my own experience (mine were bought pre-buyout) Sorels run big. I don't have Kamiks myself but DS does and they're THE brand at the daycare. They're slightly less pricey. I have to wonder if when the fashion quotient went up with the Sorel buyout the quality went down a bit? Mine are totally fugly but good to -40.

ETA: neither Kamik or Sorel stretch. They're kind of like LLB duck boots in that they're rubber on the bottom (in most of the styles).

The other two big Canadian boot brands are Pajar and La Canadienne, both also based in Montreal. Pajar is a mix of warmth and function as well as fashion, and La Canadienne is a fashion brand.
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Do you wear socks with these? I have them in the 10. And I like them. They are OOS for the 10.5 and they fit well with no socks ... bet they are too snug with socks. SIGH
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

I wore my Sorel's yesterday without socks...if it's really cold I will probably wear socks though it maybe a little snug since the pair I got only came in whole sizes.

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Hillview, I tried them on with thick socks. I could have probably even gone up to 10. The length did not vary much for me but the width did. HTH.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Are you guys getting free return shipping? That's what stopps me from ordering shoes on amazon.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by DrSally View Post
    Are you guys getting free return shipping? That's what stopps me from ordering shoes on amazon.
    No. You have to pay return shipping. Zappos has them with free returns but I would much rather have the lower price.

ETA: The additional $25 off is no longer available at checkout.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

mypa is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by DrSally View Post
    This is what stops me from ordering shoes from Amazon, too, except the Lightening deal was too good to pass up. It looks like for shoes its $3.99 base price to return plus $0.99 per item, so $5 to return 1pr, $6 to return 2prs, etc. Endless is also free shipping/free returns but the prices on Amazon was so much better during the deal it was worth risking the return cost.

I did look up their exchange policy and while it was not clear, it kind of made it seem like they will do a free exchange as long as the price of the new item is the same as the old item, but since the Lightening deal was temporary and the price has gone back up it would not give me an option to exchange so I decided to just keep my boots.
    Mary

DS Summer '05
    DD Fall '08

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

$5 to return one pair, that's pretty good.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

Quote Originally Posted by hillview View Post
    Do you wear socks with these? I have them in the 10. And I like them. They are OOS for the 10.5 and they fit well with no socks ... bet they are too snug with socks. SIGH
    I suppose that it really depends on why you're wearing them, but here they're seen as the last resort in warmth. So by default you're wearing them with socks. They just happen to look cuter now than they did 10 years ago. FTR I usually wear SmartWool socks in the winter which are fairly thin, yet warm, rather than a heavy wool/cashmere/fleece sock. It makes quite a difference in the fit.
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

I am SHOCKED...(shocked)! That almost $80 for a pair of homely boots is a great deal.

SHOCKED!

I am going to turn my heat up, stay in my house, and go barefoot.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast