HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Issues with giving DS eyedrops--looking for advice

DS is 7. He has eyedrops he has been using for over 2 months b/c the underside of his eyelids have allergy bumps on them (DS blinks so much the teachers thought he had a tick). So, yesterday DS decides to revolt with a full on temper tantrum (kicking, biting, screaming, thrashing--you name it). Did the same thing tonight as well. He can't/won't tell me why he suddenly refuses to have the eyedrops. Meanwhile, not getting the eyedrops means blood red eyelids, itchy eyes and massive intensive blinking (and that is only after a day of missing the drops). Anyone have any suggestions of how to get DS to let me do the drops (I've tried an incentive chart, rewards etc... and DS suddenly could care less).
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

boilermakermom is offline Bargain Alerts forum moderator

Has he told you the drops sting his eyes? Has he had any other behavioral changes?

The easiest way to give eye drops to kids is to have them look up, and place the drop in the corner of their eye. Then have him blink about ten times.

Or, have him look up, and pull his lower lid down. Place a drop inside his lower lid, and have him blink.

JenaW is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

my youngest DD had to have eye surgery and we had to drops when she was only a year old. Our eye doctor gave us this tried and true technique and we have used it with all our kids successfully. Have them lay flat and close their eyes. Put the drops right in the corner of their eye (with the eye closed). have them blink their eyes open adn closed a few times. Works great. However, since your son is 7, other than forcing him to lay still so you can do this, which could be traumatic, I have no clue. Though if it is that much of a concern, maybe explain to him that you can do it the easy way (i.e.he cooperates), or the hard way (DH holds him down and you do the drops). With our eye doctors technique he does not have to have his eyes open, and as long as his head remains still after you place the drops until he blinks, you are good to go.

I agree with the pp, are they stinging or bothering him? Can you try warming or cooling the drops to see if that makes any difference?

boilermakermom is offline Bargain Alerts forum moderator

If his eyes/lids are irritated try putting preservative free natural tears in the refrigerator. It will help with irritation and might make the other drops hurt less.

zag95 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JenaW View Post
    my youngest DD had to have eye surgery and we had to drops when she was only a year old. Our eye doctor gave us this tried and true technique and we have used it with all our kids successfully. Have them lay flat and close their eyes. Put the drops right in the corner of their eye (with the eye closed). have them blink their eyes open adn closed a few times. Works great. However, since your son is 7, other than forcing him to lay still so you can do this, which could be traumatic, I have no clue. Though if it is that much of a concern, maybe explain to him that you can do it the easy way (i.e.he cooperates), or the hard way (DH holds him down and you do the drops). With our eye doctors technique he does not have to have his eyes open, and as long as his head remains still after you place the drops until he blinks, you are good to go.

I agree with the pp, are they stinging or bothering him? Can you try warming or cooling the drops to see if that makes any difference?
    We recently had to give DD eye drops (she'll be 4 next month) for an eye infection. The above is the method our Ped advised. Maybe the drops are having an adverse reaction??