Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    fivi2 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Tall boot shaft height... measured from where?

I am looking at knee high boots, and can only find them online. What the heck do they measure the shaft height from? The ground? Some part of the boot? And the same boots are listed as having a different shaft height on different websites...

If I am short with short legs am I going to have a hard time finding boots?

I kind of like these right now:
    http://piperlime.gap.com/browse/prod...StH2XNnEw3jJCw

Are they too rugged for skirts?

Oh - I don't want to go over my knee.

And how many inches need to show between skirt hem and top of boot in order to not look goofy?

arrgghhh!!!

baymom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Those are really cute boots, Fivi2! I *believe* shaft height is measured from where your foot starts, not the ground. So, if you were barefoot, 15 1/2 inches from the ground. It doesn't include the heel height. There may be some rule of thumb, but it's really just your personal taste, in terms of how heigh they should go. I have two pairs of tall boots and find myself favoring the pair that comes slightly closer to my knee. I think the ones that are mid-calf height cut up your leg line too much and only look good on people that are tall.

Shamelessly bumping for advice. I ordered the linked boots in black (different site, slightly cheaper).

They come pretty close to the bottom of my knee... Is that too tall for a skirt? They don't cover my knee, but are pretty close to the bottom.

Are these too clunky for a skirt with the heel and the little pull tab thingies on the side? I do like them, but I just can't tell if they work...

Also, they fit on my calves, but are a bit loose around the ankle - is that normal?

I know a pic would help, but I have technical difficulties...

mjmamma is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by fivi2 View Post
    Shamelessly bumping for advice. I ordered the linked boots in black (different site, slightly cheaper).

They come pretty close to the bottom of my knee... Is that too tall for a skirt? They don't cover my knee, but are pretty close to the bottom.

Are these too clunky for a skirt with the heel and the little pull tab thingies on the side? I do like them, but I just can't tell if they work...

Also, they fit on my calves, but are a bit loose around the ankle - is that normal?

I know a pic would help, but I have technical difficulties...
    I think they'd be great for a skirt. The heel is thick but the shaft is slim and feminine. Boots fall high and low. I think if you can look at yourself and feel comfortable, you're fine. Your skirt should cover the boot tops or be high enough to show some knee, imo. My Hunter boots are looser around the ankle too. I think it's something that's common but you probably feel self conscious about it. Hopefully no one is paying that much attention
    SAHM Mamma to 4

Thank you

I just have short legs, so pretty much any boot is going to come up high. I will try them next week!

mjmamma is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'm only 5'2" and all my boots are high too, could be worse, good luck!
    SAHM Mamma to 4

joules is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I just bought those boots, but in cognac. I am 5'2"....but I can't tell what they look like on me yet because I am pregnant (due 2/1) and so swollen so I can't really put them on....well I can but they are super TIGHT and my legs are swollen. However, I can tell that I'm going to LOVE these once I can fit in them.

I think the pictures don't do them justice. Even though the heel is thick, it's not too clunky looking at all.

I don't think being a little loose around the ankle is a big deal. I have one pair of boots that are like skin tight almost....really fitted all throughout. I don't think it looks better with the more fitted ankle and actually a little looser would be more comfortable.

I read reviews on either Endless or Nordstrom and on one of those, someone mentioned that she was able to have a cobbler shorten them a bit for her without altering the appearance at all. I think the height works for me and I won't have to shorten it.

I've been stalking these boots ever since I saw them on the Nordstrom website a few months ago. So glad I was able to snag them at half price!!
    DS1 - 03/10
    DS2 - 02/12

Thanks for the advice!

I do really like the boots - now I just need to try them out