Default OMI vs. Naturepedic organic mattress

I'm due in early April with baby #1 and have started to research crib mattresses. I know that I would like an organic mattress and am okay paying a premium to have a non-toxic mattress. I've basically narrowed it down to Organic Mattresses, Inc. (OMI) and Naturepedic. If anybody has any input on either of these I would greatly appreciate it!

teo is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

We have Naturepedic and like it, but know that they are built slightly smaller than the new CPSC mattress standards (should be minimum of 27¼ inches by 51⅝ inches; ours is 27 1/2 x 51¼ so we have a gap lengthwise), so if your crib is at or slightly above the standard interior crib size (28 ± ⅝ inches x 52 3⁄8 ± ⅝ inches) you will have a gap larger than the recommended two fingers. We put extra sheets on to fill it, but it was frustrating given how much the mattress cost. (They did offer to look for a slightly larger one for a fee, but we decided it wasn't worth putting any more money into since I couldn't imagine they would vary much.)

It's a good mattress otherwise, but measure first!

teo is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Whoops, double post!

On the flip side, we have a Naturepedic, which I love, and it is verytight in the crib. You can't even stick a finger between the crib wood and the mattress, so no worries there!

I don't know if the OMI mattress has an outer layer of plastic or not, but that may be a defining factor for you. While many people don't want any plastic, we opted for it to keep out urine (which can mold and offgass nasties over the years), and dust mites. It just seemed more hygenic to me. The plastic on a Naturepedic is foodgrade #4.

We have it topped off with a organic wool mattress pad, and organic cotton sheet, so there is still a barrier between baby and the plastic outer covering.

That said, the OMI mattress looks nice!
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

I always smile and think that Naturepedic's PR department did such a great job marketing their mattresses because people think they are organic.

they DO contain organic cotton, INSIDE a sealed plastic cover. Last time I checked polyethylene plastic isn't organic, unless you want to make the argument that it comes from oil and oil comes from the earth so it's organic.

Granted polyethylene is SO MUCH better for your baby than a vinyl covered mattress. Any mattress that doesn't use vinyl is better for your baby.

On the flip side, let's think about organic. Bacteria is organic, mold is organic, mildew is organic, dust mites are organic. They all occur naturally in the world, and how do you treat an organic mattress to resist these things? I would think you need to do something, or deal with the potential for these to happen.

I just don't want people to think that if they get an organic mattress that it will be as clean as a sealed mattress like Naturepedic or Moonlight Slumber.

Full disclosure, we use, and love, a Moonlight Slumber mattress. The absolute BEST cover on the market. Not hard and plastic-y, but still water proof and with sealed seams, so nothing can get inside and set up shop that could cause health issues for our little one. Can't say enough good things about Moonlight!

sntm is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We bought the nsturepedic one that is two sided but lighter weight. Fits our muu crib well
    shannon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Another Queen of the House of Boys:
    DS#1 2003
    DS#2 my mother's day gift 2012
    DH
    Mikey, the cat and rhinestone-collared, pink-leashed Schatze, our Rottweiler girl