Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    flashy09 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Does birth length correlate to adult size?

Are longer/shorter babies (full term) tall/small adults? I come from very small family, but my baby was 20.5 inches and 7.13 bs. Wondering if this means she inherited some height from her 5'11 dad or not. We were all 18-19 inch, 6 lb babies so I tend to think so?
    DD1 9 yrs old 12/2011
    DD2 7 yrs old 01/2014

babyonway is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Not sure about birth but I heard if u double a two year olds height u get their full adult size. Not sure if that is medically accurate of course, but others hopefully will help on ur birth height question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
    Mama to my sweet lil girl (Summer 2010)

chozen is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by babyonway View Post
    Not sure about birth but I heard if u double a two year olds height u get their full adult size. Not sure if that is medically accurate of course, but others hopefully will help on ur birth height question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
    well if this is true our dd will be 5'10", i am 5'11" and dh is 6'. most of our family is tall.

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

No. It's not an indicator. As PP said, you can get a better sense at 2 yo.

http://www.babycenter.com/child-height-predictor
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

Quote Originally Posted by babyonway View Post
    My grandmother told me the same thing. She even had an old newspaper article with a full chart on how a child's birth height would predict their final height. At 2 they were basically half their height. I think it was like 49% to be exact. I can't remember what percentage they were supposed to be at birth but I think I calculated that my son would be just short of 6' and he was 21" at birth.

I am not sure I know how tall my kids were at 2. Oh well I guess I'll have to wait and find out the old fashioned way.
    AF wife and SAHM of three
    DS(2007.March) DD(2009.July) DS(2012.December)

Birth height and birth weight has little input on actual adult height. Birth measurements are based on intra-uterine nutrition and placental functioning.

As others have noted, you can get a better idea as a child grows, and settles into their "curve" on the growth charts. Even those aren't always accurate in predicting adult height though--a early or late bloomer will throw the prediction off.
    --Mimi
    Mom to Lala (2004), Bonus Mom to Big Sis 1 (1991) and Big Sis 2 (1992)
    Grammy to Big Kindy Kid (2011), Big Pre-K Kid (2012),
    Grandbaby Appendage (2014), and New Baby Grandboy (summer 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by lalasmama View Post
    Even those aren't always accurate in predicting adult height though--a early or late bloomer will throw the prediction off.
    I wonder how dropping in percentiles effects final adult height. When I put DS's 2 year old stats into the calculator, it predicts that he will be 5'10" - which would be a miracle considering how short DH and I are. When I put his 3 year old stats in, they predict his height will be 5'7", which I think is far more likely (though even that's a bit tall based on the gene pool!).
    Green Tea, mom to three

I don't think so.

DD was 20.5 inches at birth. She is 7 yrs. old now and has always been off the charts tall. She is 51.5 inches currently, maybe 52.

Ds was also 20.5 inches at birth. At 2.5 years old, he is barely 35 inches, and that might be stretching it. He is a shrimp in comparison to how his sister grew. If he is 5'8, I'll be surprised.

On the other hand, DD may be 5'11.
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

Melbel is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Birth length is correlating with height in our family. Based upon their most recent physicals

DS - 23" at birth, expected to be about 6'3 or 6'4"
    DD1 - 21.5" at birth, expected to be 5'9' - 5'10"
    DD2 - 19" at birth, and expected to be about 5'6"

mom2khj is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I was 22" at birth and am only 5'7".
    mom to DD1 (17), DD2 (14) and DS (9)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast