I went to a bridal fair (mostly to see what I should avoid), and had the good luck to meet an amazing baker at Room for Dessert in Monterey, Ca (savingroomfordessert.com). She is incredibly talented and affordable, if you happen to be in the area ($200 for a three-tiered cake). She gave me some wonderful advice: if you decide to have cupcakes, consider mini cupcakes. Not only are they cheaper, but people tend to prefer them. Many people won't eat a cupcake unless it comes on a plate with a fork, and some people don't want that much cake. Bonus: mini cupcakes don't require a plate to eat! One less item to rent/buy. I planned on making 4 batches of cupcakes for my wedding, but now I'm considering 2 batches (96) of mini cupcakes placed on a cupcake tower for about $50 total in supplies.

Has anyone considered DIY dessert? Any tips on decorating? Most people I talked to are horrified at the thought of the bride making her own wedding cupcakes. My fiance prefers my baking to most local bakeries and definitely doesn't want to spend a few hundred on a cake.