gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Why don't my Rice Krispy treats stick together?

I used butter and marshmallow fluff. I followed the directions, I thought. But they aren't hardening and getting stickier and they fall part in my hand. I haven't had luck with them the last few times I made them. Last time I used marshmallows. They still taste good though.

Any ideas?
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

LD92599 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Sounds like too much moisture. The butter melts the marshmallows into liquid....so with fluff and melted butter, too soft.

How much butter are you using? When I make it, I melt a couple tablespoons (3-4) of margarine (I make it dairy-free), add in a whole container of fluff and mix until combined. Then I take it off the fire and pour in rice krispies- as much as possible. Sorry, I don't have measurements but I would guess between 8-10 cups.
    DD 12/08
    DS 1/14

Quote Originally Posted by LD92599 View Post
    Sounds like too much moisture. The butter melts the marshmallows into liquid....so with fluff and melted butter, too soft.
    That would be my guess, but I've never made them with fluff, so I don't really know. Can you mix something else in that might help hold it together? M&Ms maybe?
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would use actual marshmallows instead of fluff. I use 3TBS of butter and an entire bag of marshmallows and 6 cups of rice krispies... mix and press into a greased pyrex pan. Once they have cooled, they are always sticky and yummy! I follow the recipe on the rice krispies website!

You know what I just went on there and it says you can sub marshmallow CREME but it doesn't say "fluff" maybe the fluff is your problem.

They should get sticky once they have cooled but we rarely let them get to that state. They are much better warm and gooey. My mom used to just lay them out in huge clumps on wax paper. Delicious!
    AF wife and SAHM of three
    DS(2007.March) DD(2009.July) DS(2012.December)

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by happymom View Post
    How much butter are you using? When I make it, I melt a couple tablespoons (3-4) of margarine (I make it dairy-free), add in a whole container of fluff and mix until combined. Then I take it off the fire and pour in rice krispies- as much as possible. Sorry, I don't have measurements but I would guess between 8-10 cups.
    . I followed the recipe on the fluff website. But I think I might not have added enough rice crispies. I thought I added to many but it sounds like everyone here added more than I did.

Quote Originally Posted by MommyAllison View Post
    That would be my guess, but I've never made them with fluff, so I don't really know. Can you mix something else in that might help hold it together? M&Ms maybe?
    I did add m&ms. I added some red ones. They didn't stick at all.
    Oh, well, they taste good and look pretty in the pan. The kids are eating them up so maybe I'll make some more tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for the thoughts!
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

karstmama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

lisa, maybe make balls & roll them in more krispies?
    mama to j karst, former 25 weeker, 12/06

Hmm, I make them with fluff every time so I don't think that's the problem. Lisa, I think you're right that you didn't add enough rice krispies. Don't follow the recipe exactly next time. Just melt the butter and fluff, then add as much rice krispies as you can (it should be somewhat stiff and hard to mix). I always just add until there wouldn't be enough cream to coat any more.
    DD 12/08
    DS 1/14