Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 3rd sinus infection of 2012

So far, I've had the above mentioned THREE sinus infections and bronchitis this year. I feel like I need to start being more preventative if the year has started thus way. Does anyone have any recommendations for me?

Oh, and I do not have allergies, i just seem to be staying sick.
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

Melbel is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

This has been a year of repeat sinus infections for me too, but I do have allergies. Is it possible that you have developed allergies? The pollen has been horrendous lately with the warmer winter. Allergies can strike at any time. I learned through a friend that the inflammation from TMJ (I have been clenching my teeth in my sleep due to stress) will hinder recovery from a sinus infection.

BDKmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Have you tried a neti pot? I work in an ENT office and they really seem to help our patients.
    DS - Feb 2010
    DD - May 2012

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Neti pot with saline

Alkalol sinus rinse

supplements

Elderberry

Echinecea (when something is coming on)

Vitamin C

Vitamin D

Probiotics

Fish Oil

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

That's horrible! Are you taking vitamin D? I have been salt water gargling too, which is just supposed to kill germs.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbel View Post
    I learned through a friend that the inflammation from TMJ (I have been clenching my teeth in my sleep due to stress) will hinder recovery from a sinus infection.
    This is really interesting. I have terrible TERRIBLE tmj (I can barely eat solid food anymore!) and have been getting sinus infections constantly. During the holidays, I had 3 in 2.5 months - it sucked. I feel another one coming on. I'll have to Google it and see what I find.

I tried to use the Neti pot 3 times today, but my sinuses are so inflamed the water does not flow through at all!

I guess it is possible I have developed allergies, but I genuinely feel sick too. Not sure if you feel like crud with allergies since I've ever had them before.

I am starting my 3rd antibiotic today.

I am sick of being sick.
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

SummerBaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I have had bad sinus infections most of my adult life. Last year I was on my fourth infection and finally went to an ENT. He prescribed not only an antibiotic, but a course of prednisone to reduce the massive swelling I had- basically nothing could drain. It worked extremely well. Also, he recommended the Neil med rinses. I could never get the neti pot to work, but the Neil med bottle is very easy. It really has helped me. Good luck- I know how it feels!

Someone here who had years of recurrent sinus infections recommended Grapefruit Seed Extract nasal spray which basically cured her of sinus infections.

I get mine from iherb (nutribiotic) and it cleans my sinuses out better than any saline solution with just a few sprays of the pump. Love it and use it pro-actively daily to flush out my sinuses.

For me, my sinus issues were also very related to neck pain and inflammation. I started going to a chiropractor last year and have not had sinus issues since.

I also agree with PP about elderberry, C, D and pro-biotics.

Melbel is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbows&Roses View Post
    Someone here who had years of recurrent sinus infections recommended Grapefruit Seed Extract nasal spray which basically cured her of sinus infections.

I get mine from iherb (nutribiotic) and it cleans my sinuses out better than any saline solution with just a few sprays of the pump. Love it and use it pro-actively daily to flush out my sinuses.

For me, my sinus issues were also very related to neck pain and inflammation. I started going to a chiropractor last year and have not had sinus issues since.

I also agree with PP about elderberry, C, D and pro-biotics.
    Grapefruit seed extract is a natural antibiotic and anti fungal. You can actually get fungal sinus infections that would not respond to antibiotics (it may actually make it worse because the antibiotics wipe out good bacteria which keeps yeast in check). Based upon the recommendation here and the great reviews on amazon, I am going to give it a try.
    http://www.amazon.com/Nutribiotic-Na...ef=pd_sim_hg_1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast