Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Bedrest, can't do childbirth class. Tips?

I went through our hospital's class 7 years ago and although I felt it was pretty lame at the time, I feel like I'm going into this birth a bit 'blind.'

I trust my doc. Gobbs. BUT there's a 20% chance he won't be there and chances are he won't be there telling me what to do prior, either.

Despite what the staff should obviously guide me through, any tips?

I'm terribly high risk and have back issues. Planning on epidural. Avoided c-section for DS, hoping for the same outcome this time. Baby is head down already.

34 weeks today, ladies. Been on progesterone since 18, bed rest since 25. If baby were born today, she'd likely be OK, just need NICU for a few weeks. Next goal is 36. Then BRING IT ON.

I did a child birth class with DD when she was born almost 2 years ago and I really can't think of a bigger waste of time. I think that if you are planning a natural child birth, an extended class like Lamaze or Bradley is probably helpful. But, given the birth you described, I don't think you are missing out on anything. Is there another doctor in your practice that you can get to know before the birth so you have someone else who might be available to you? Does your practice have a midwife? The midwife in my practice stayed with me my entire birth (including when they sent me off for an emergency C-section since DD wasn't tolerating labor) and having her there was a total relief.
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Hypnobabies has a self-study course, but if you are planning on an epidural anyway, it may not be what you want or need. It does work well IME to alleviate some of the anxiety and worry. It was great when I had pregnancy induced insomnia...it really leaves you feeling deeply, deeply relaxed. Maybe you would find it worthwhile even with plans for an epidural. I just thought I'd mention it since it can be done as a self-study at home.
    Last edited by brittone2; 02-08-2012 at 12:35 PM.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

mctlaw is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

So sorry. Can you get a doula?
    MC

Fair Queen-Ruler of the House of Boys
    Mom to DS 3/06
    DS 2 6/12
    and a 12 year old (boy) min pin

scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We honestly didn't get that much out of child birth class. I knew I was going to have an epidural so a bunch of the techniques they discussed were not applicable (ie getting in a tub or sitting on a ball- not possible). I would think you could get all the info you need on the Internet or by reading some good books that focus on labor and delivery. Especially ones that focus on relaxation techniques.
    DD 7/07
    DS1 9/09
    DS2 7/13

Hospital childbirth classes are so hit-or-miss...I don't think you're necessarily missing out on anything super helpful. However, I can certainly understand that being able to attend a course might help with anxiety and help you feel more prepared. How about watching some online childbirth classes? Here's one offered for free through babycenter: http://www.babycenter.com/childbirth-class

I can't vouch for it myself and I'm sure there are other resources out there, but this might be a good place to start. You could also call the people who do the class at your local hospital and ask them to recommend some online resources. Hooray for the internet, right? :-)

Best wishes for the rest of your pregnancy and delivery!
    Mom to J 6/25/08 and M 6/21/11

acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

So sorry about the bedrest! I have been there- its no fun! With my first (was on bedrest from 27 weeks on), I asked my dr. about the class and she gave me the name of one of the teachers who did private classes at people's houses. She came one evening for an hour or two and she really geared it toward what we wanted to know and our situation. It was helpful and eased my mind about a few things, but I think we would have been ok without it too. (It turned our teacher was my nurse for our delivery!) With my second (went on bedrest at 27 weeks again), I didn't do anything and that worked out fine too. Maybe there is someone in your area that might do something similar? You could check with your dr. or the people that run the classes if it is something that you think would make you feel more prepared.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Get some Penny Simkin books.

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

www.babycenter.com has a whole childbirth class free on their website - you can refresh there .
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would look into someone who can come to you for a private class. Especially if you are planning on breast feeding etc. Not only can they discuss the birthing part but also postpartum care for YOU and newborn care. I would discuss exactly what issues you have and how you are planning to have a medicated birth but would like to do everything you can to avoid a C-section. We took Bradley Method classes when I was pregnant with DS1 and I did have 2 unmedicated births but I feel like I (and my husband) learned a lot about the whole process of childbirth and felt pretty confident going into it. While I think I really gained the most out of the class, I think it was really good for my husband. He still felt a little overwhelmed with everything but in the end he did fine.... can't imagine what it would have been like if we hadn't taken a class!!!! I think the biggest eye opener for all the dads was looking at the diagram of exactly how much 10 cms is ... it was like a bullseye from 1cm to 10 cms.... all of their jaws hit the floor when we turned to that page in the workbook!

If your OB's office doesn't have any suggestions you might be able to get some help in finding someone in your area by contacting local Lactation Consultants or even a La Leche League leader.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast