Default Braised Brussel Sprouts - in coconut milk

We had these this evening. It was my first attempt to cook bs in several years, having found them to be too bitter, but DH loves them and since we're doing low carb, I'm on a quest for new veggies and ways to cook them. They were tasty - I might in the future include a little more liquid.

Brussels Sprouts in Curry Cream Sauce
    (How to Cook Everything Mark Bittman)

3 Tbsps. neutral oil

1 pound Brussels spouts, bottoms removed, cleaned and halved

1 Tbsp. mustard seeds, black or yellow
    1 Tbsp. hot curry powder
    1 cup coconut milk
    salt & pepper to taste

Heat the oil over medium heat in a medium saucepan. Add mustard seeds, cook for about two minutes. Add coconut milk, curry, bring to a boil then stir in Brussels sprouts.

Cook until tender, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes.

FWIW, I am *loving* my copy of HTCE, I got it last week in the hope that it would provide me with some new inspiration but nothing complicated. This is about the 3rd recipe I've done so far, it's proving to be exactly what I needed.
    ~ Dawn
    Our little monkey (4/2011) & his early holiday present 12/12

oneplustwo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

This sounds yummy; thanks for sharing. I love Mark Bittmann and keep thinking of getting this cookbook of his from the library to try out.
    “The difference between perseverance and obstinacy is that one often comes from a strong will,
    and the other from a strong won’t.” Henry Ward Beecher

Worry is like a rocking chair ~ it keeps you busy but it doesn't get you anywhere.

for Sandy Hook Elementary School

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by oneplustwo View Post
    This sounds yummy; thanks for sharing. I love Mark Bittmann and keep thinking of getting this cookbook of his from the library to try out.
    It's worth the purchase price and then some. My DH's SIL swears by it ... and when the anniversary edition came out a couple years ago, I bought her a brand-new copy because hers had bitten the dust. (I also bought a copy for my SIL the Christmas before she married my brother ... and have my own copy that I turn to from time to time for quick-hit tips on things like pie fillings and meat done-ness temperatures.)
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

It's worth the purchase price and then some.
    I think there has been a recipe in there for everything I've wanted to make this week. I love how some many of the recipes are simple and quick. The only thing I've made that wasn't that great were some oven baked porkchops, but I didn't follow his instructions exactly and ended up overcooking them, bleh.

My only regret maybe that I bought the physical edition instead of the kindle version...it is quite a tome!
    ~ Dawn
    Our little monkey (4/2011) & his early holiday present 12/12

oneplustwo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by echoesofspring View Post

My only regret maybe that I bought the physical edition instead of the kindle version...it is quite a tome!
    That's one of the reasons I haven't gotten it yet, it's just so big . . . and considering I love storing recipes on my computer (so easy to search/sort, add my notes, etc.), maybe I should think of getting a Kindle just for cookbooks and such. Hmm, birthday coming up . . .
    “The difference between perseverance and obstinacy is that one often comes from a strong will,
    and the other from a strong won’t.” Henry Ward Beecher

Worry is like a rocking chair ~ it keeps you busy but it doesn't get you anywhere.

for Sandy Hook Elementary School

essnce629 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Making these tonight!
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)