Default 3 across is 2007 Honda Pilot (again)...

I recently posted about the possibility of installing 3 carseats across in the second row of our 2007 Honda Pilot...

Currently, we have two britax marathons both forward facing and latch installed...

We are looking to add an infant car seat - babytrend flex loc...

There are only two sets of latches in the second row and three tethers...

Recently, our friends who drive an Acura MDX (2007) showed us their set up with three seats, all latch installed...

They latch installed the middle seat using one latch attachment from each of the outboard positions, while maintaining the outboard seats also latch installed...

We got this to work in our second row, with the two marathons in the middle and drivers side outboard position, and the base for the infant car seat behind the passenger seat...

Is this safe - this "double latching"? Any car seat experts out there that can help?

Thanks in Advance!

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Not an expert here, but I'm pretty sure it is not allowed to double latch like you described. To fit 3 across in our CRV, we used seatbelts on the outer 2 seats which pushed them toward the doors just a hair, then latched the middle. You'll need to be cognizant of the latch limits for your car, though, and move the heaviest DC to seatbelt anyway when they pass the weight limit of LATCH.

You absolutely cannot double up on LATCH anchors. You need to change this ASAP and I strongly suggest you urge your friends to do the same. Each LATCH anchor is designed to hold only *one* carseat and cannot be used to hold more than one. It could fail in a crash. This is true for any car. Please change this set up before you drive your kids anywhere.

Also, I don't have a LATCH manual with me, but are you sure that your car allows the use of LATCH in the center position? Many, many cars require a seatbelt install for the carseat in the center even if the LATCH anchors are not being used outboard. Your car's manual will tell you which seating positions allow for the use of LATCH. If your manual says you cannot use LATCH in the center position you *must* install with a seatbelt there. The anchors are often not reinforced for that position and again could very well fail in a crash. (Encourage your friends to check this for their car as well.)

Is there a reason you are trying to avoid using the seat belt? Marathons are typically very easy to install with a seat belt and as Wellyes said you can often get more room for installs by using the seat belt because you can install closer to the door. There is no safety advantage to installing with LATCH vs. installing correctly with the seat belt.

I found this article that explains that "double latching" is never allowed and why "borrowing" (using outboard anchors for the center position) is often not allowed.

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=33718

The last post in that article discusses Honda specifically and says that Honda does not allow LATCH to be used for a center install at all unless you have three sets of LATCH anchors in your car. It sounds like you only have two so the center seat will need to be installed with a seat belt no matter what. (You should of course double check in your own manual.)

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

As PPs said, attaching two seats to one anchor is not allowed.

Most times, three across works better with seat belt installs anyway. They move the seats out farther, leaving more room in the center. You will have to install at least the center seat with the seat belt. Also, if either of the outboard children are over 40 lbs, you will need to use a seat belt to install the seat anyway.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

Default Thanks...

Glad I trusted my gut instinct and checked with my bbb peeps...

No worries, have not driven with kids as I wanted to be sure this was/wasnt okay...

Have forwarded the 411 to our friends...

Dh is gonna do the middle seat via seatbelt... No opposition to this or question regarding whats safer... Dh just prefers latch as he got used to removing and installing seats this way... No worries, I'm sure he'll master the seatbelt install in no time...

Thanks again bbb for coming to the rescue!