Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default How much would you pay for a "cake boss" kind of cake?

I'm planning my HS reunion, and we're getting a cake designed by a friend of mine. She's unreal. Her cakes are the most beautiful creations I've ever seen. This is her hobby and she doesn't know what to charge me. I can get a full sheet from a bakery I have a relationship with for a discount at $90. Two sheets would be $180, and that's just plain boring sheet cake. This girl makes 3-dimensional creations custom to order. So, I thought offering her $200 for a cake we design that would feed up to 300 ppl would be fair. Do you agree? Or is that a lowball offer?
    * Charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society
    * I do not fix my typos. I shuold, but I dodn't.
    * I regret tucking my jeans into my socks with Reebok high-tops well into 1994.

Does she know how much time it will take her? I think 67 cents per slice for a fancy cake is too low. I would think at least $300 and that is on the low end.
    Mama to 3

mom_hanna is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I would probably offer similar to what I'd be willing to pay for a wedding cake. If the cake is going to be really extravagant and large (300 ppl), it will take a lot of her time, as well as money, to make.

mytwosons is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Way low. I'm in the midwest and that type of cake is expensive. I've only seen much smaller ones and they were more like $4-$5 pp. We had a woman who does such cakes do a simple round cake for my DS1's bday, but the picture was airbrushed on. $50 for a small round cake.

Think about how much your wedding cake cost, how those are usually just decorated and not engineered to be something, and how long ago that was.

I think a pro would charge at least $1k for a cake that large.

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Seems low to me, too. I'd find out how long it will take her to make the cake and how much the ingredients will cost and go from there.
    Kris

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Well, IMO $200 is a huge favor to you. How long will she have to spend on the cake? I would ask her what she wants $ wise and go from there. I would offer her free advertising at the event (if that is what she wants) as a bonus on top of the cost plus offer to pay for any supplies she needs.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

$200 is low. I would offer her at least $500.
    See what she says.
    Eta....our local elitist cake shop charges a minimum of $1000 for sculpted cakes
    Last edited by infomama; 02-19-2012 at 08:34 PM.

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Very lowball. Sorry.

I mean, you're talking $180 for *discounted* boring sheet cake, and $200 is a mere $20 more than that for an exceedingly more complicated, time-consuming and gorgeous creation.

Maybe she could do a focal piece and she could supplement with plainer easier cakes that coordinate?

weech is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I also bake as a hobby and would probably have to charge somewhere in the realm of 700-800 for a 3-D cake to feed 300 people.

A decorated tiered cake for 300 people would be at least 300. I agree with the idea to ask her about doing some sheet or tiered cakes and then doing a much smaller 3-D part so it's cheaper for you and more worth her while. It's probably somewhat regional, but I definitely think you should offer more.
    Rachel
    Momma to my sweet little bubba
    04/2010

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I would say at least $800 ESP. if you want lots of 3-d design.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast