Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Sleep Deprivation

Remind me that eventually they will sleep without being held... it's 3 am, and I really miss sleep. I can't remember how long this phase lasted with DS1 (who also wanted to sleep on a person and would wake up the moment you put him in a cosleeper/crib/seat/etc). I know he's only a week old, but I've now started pumping so that DH can give him a bottle and I can sleep a little longer in bed and DH can take a longer shift with him at night.

So, how did you power through the first few weeks? And remind me how long this lasts...
    DS1 6/07

DS2 2/12

Repeat after me: "This, too, shall pass."

DS was just like your DS's. But I can't imagine doing it again with big brother in tow!

Our ped said that the first 3 months you'll be living in thick fog. DH and I completely agreed with him. I'm not sure how we passed the first 3 months, but we did!

Hang in there, Mama! And congratulations!!
    DS1 08.2010
    DS2 04.2012

fedoragirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Depends on your DS. DD slept in her crib from 2 1/2 months on. DS only sleeps on me or with me. He's 5 months old. It will pass, I hope....by the time he is 1.
    Congratulations!
    3 year old DD
    2 year old DS

sweetsue98 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Know what you mean....going through the same thing. Hate to say this but I've been just sleeping with her on my chest when I need sleep. Probably not the best but I'm no good without sleep. It gets better and he's only 1week old. Congrats again!!!!

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I also slept with Dolly on my chest. If the choice is to sleep that way or not sleep at all, well you do what you have to do.
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

I would say the first 6 weeks are the hardest in every regard. Sleep, nursing, recovery. It gets easier after that. 3 months is the next "even better" goal.
    Just tell yourself you're working towards the 6 week goal, and do whatever is necessary to get there sanely with sleep. That's why I always cosleep. I honestly didn't miss out on much sleep that way. Baby is happy and content, just lift shirt and nurse, and go on sleeping!

Hang in there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We took shifts. I always nursed but after some feedings, I gave him to dh and I slept in the guest room and vv. Just having the silence and knowing I was totally off duty was enough! Pumping would have been too much work...I wasn't up for any extra work in those early days! Sadly, you kind of get used to the sleep deprivation after a while! But, it does get better!!

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

For those of you who sleep with them on your chests, do you mean in bed? I've always been reticent about cosleeping with a young infant and I'm not sure how to do it safely without a cosleeper. I do fall asleep holding him in the recliner but it's never a good sleep.

The good news is that he took the bottle of BM well. I don't mind pumping really so long as it means someone else can feed him one night feeding. I'm a big producer so it only takes about 5 minutes to get 2-3 ounces.
    DS1 6/07

DS2 2/12

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

When my ds2 was 3 weeks old, dh came down with the flu. It lasted a week and that meant I was on duty 24/7. I gave up one night and put ds2 on his belly next to me since he had been sleeping on my chest in bed. It was heaven. He slept well, I slept better than I had been. I figured he was full term, there was no fluffy bedding around, he was on a firm surface (crappy, cheap foam mattress ), we never smoked, he was breastfed...basically I decided that the SIDS risks were within my comfort zone and went for the tummy sleeping. So, he coslept right next to me on his belly. Dh preferred to hold him while laying down but that made me more nervous. Sleeping sitting up was not an option that ever crossed my mind.

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

It depended on which of my kids it was. My 2nd was a total blessing in the sleep department, but the other 2...aye aye aye. I'd say about 6-8 weeks for the worst of it, but tbh I'm still pretty sleep deprived with a 12 month old. I did make it easier on myself by cosleeping. I think it's a danger to potentially fall asleep sitting up holding a baby or with a baby lying on your chest. So I ended up researching safe cosleeping...as in the minimal pillows, blankets, etc. and the baby slept more on the crook of my arm, not on my chest.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast