Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Pear is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

How many servings can you get out if a full sheet cake. I think it is a max of around 100. So wouldn't you need 3 cakes?

I agree with the others ~ way too low girl. Sorry. I'd tell her you want to pay x amount per person and see what she can come up with. So $300 for something plain, $600 for something good, or $900 for something great all sound more than reasonable to me.
    Angelina
    DD 10/6/08
    DS 9/10/13

Oh, that is way too low. I would think $600 at a minimum.
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Pear View Post
    How many servings can you get out if a full sheet cake. I think it is a max of around 100. So wouldn't you need 3 cakes?
    Wilton says a full sheet serves 108 2x2 pieces. So, yeah, you'd need 3 sheets for $270 for 300 people.
    Kris

Mopey is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I realize that this is her hobby but that is LOW for a cake that feeds 300 people!

I am a private pastry chef with my own company (wedding, birthday, all cakes, etc.) and I charge per slice based on the difficulty of design (and everything is original - no "this is the baby shower design" consultations) so the MINIMUM that cake would be is probably around $1,950.00 ($6.50/slice) and that is without tax and delivery.

It would probably be closer to $2,500.00 for the fun I could have with a high school reunion

Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Thank you so much for all the input, so helpful! Had no idea about all this stuff! Thanks so much!
    * Charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society
    * I do not fix my typos. I shuold, but I dodn't.
    * I regret tucking my jeans into my socks with Reebok high-tops well into 1994.

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I agree with the others that $200 sounds very low. I'd call a few local bakeries or check out their websites to find out how much they charge for tiered cakes and go from there. I wouldn't compare it to a standard sheet cake because it's an apples to oranges comparison.

If budget is an issue I also like PP's suggestion to do a smaller elaborate cake and then plain sheet cakes for the rest. It's a common budget trick for weddings and no one really notices once the cake is cut as long as it's tasty.

Mopey is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mikala View Post
    I agree with the others that $200 sounds very low. I'd call a few local bakeries or check out their websites to find out how much they charge for tiered cakes and go from there. I wouldn't compare it to a standard sheet cake because it's an apples to oranges comparison.

If budget is an issue I also like PP's suggestion to do a smaller elaborate cake and then plain sheet cakes for the rest. It's a common budget trick for weddings and no one really notices once the cake is cut as long as it's tasty.
    to all of it - it is a great trick to saving someone's budget. and yes, stacking tiers takes A LOT of work (leveling everything from all sides). A sheet cake is easy-peasy Good luck! I hope you get something delicious and lovely!

Quote Originally Posted by Mopey View Post
    I realize that this is her hobby but that is LOW for a cake that feeds 300 people!

I am a private pastry chef with my own company (wedding, birthday, all cakes, etc.) and I charge per slice based on the difficulty of design (and everything is original - no "this is the baby shower design" consultations) so the MINIMUM that cake would be is probably around $1,950.00 ($6.50/slice) and that is without tax and delivery.

It would probably be closer to $2,500.00 for the fun I could have with a high school reunion
    O/T, but I'd love to see some pictures of things you've done.
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by DietCokeLover View Post
    O/T, but I'd love to see some pictures of things you've done.
    Me, too!
    Kris

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast