Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Uno-Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Does your toddler really wear shorts?

This is a frivolous question. I stopped by th HA outlet today, to pick up a few $10 playdresses. Some of the spring dresses are on sale and I was tempted by the 60% off coordinating bike shorts.

Then I thought about when I'd ever send Sprog out the door wearing shorts? She's getting rough 'n tumble and I just imagine daily skinned knees. It's not like cotton leggings add lots of warmth, anyway. Between sunblock hassles for her pasty white skin and probable constant scrapes, I passed on any shorts.

But they seem to sell bazillions of those things, so I suppose other parents reason differently. Am I the only person skipping the shorts?

Often bumbling mother to baby girl "Sprog"
    Born November, 2009

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

DSs wear shorts but they are LONG and cover the knee. They never really wear shorts above or even at the knee.
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Mine did. Otherwise, they'd be hot all summer, I'd think.

They did get skinned knees, but they lived.
    Kris

azazela is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We do bike shorts under dresses in the summer. Too hot to be in full length leggings or even capris. Knees still have most of their skin intact.

I've never tried HA bike shorts but must say the bike shorts from children's place are the best-est bike shorts ever. Perfect thickness and stretch.
    Anna, mommy to DD 11/06 and DS 3/10

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Yep. And scraped knees are part and parcel of summer!

Beth24 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Yes he wears shorts but he is more wide than long--they all cover his knees so they are big enough in the waist!
    DS, 15
    DD, 10
    DS, 3

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

bike shorts are essentials in our DD's wardrobe. Tunics and dresses always require them. She does not stay right side up or sit properly for very long at all. Teaching the 3 year old Sunday School class made me realize how many people hadn't thought about all the crotch-digging that goes on without bike shorts! Go back and pick some up! We also size up and get gymboree bike shorts when necessary.

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Both my kids wore shorts as toddlers - I can't' imagine not wearing them in the summer and warm weather. If they were in leggings (DD) that would have meant a lot more stains and ripped pants and still skinned knees - my kids get skinned knees through pants all the time in fall/winter when w'ere outside on the concrete anyway.

I love bike shorts under dresses/skirts for little girls as well as cotton shorts + cotton tshirts for both sexes as they're very comfortable. For DS he wore a lot of cargo shorts that were heavier canvas and DD wore a lot of sundresses with bike shorts.
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

Uno-Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Hmm. Well, I guess you all prove me wrong!

I still don't quite see the need since having knee/calf covered doesn't seem to add much warmth. I'd think warmth comes more from having layers over core areas like diaper area and torso. If it's so hot that those extra six inches will roast a toddler, I think I'll keep her inside!

They are super-cute and summert-looking, though. Still, I think we'll stick to capris. That way we can conserve the bandaids for elbows and face scrapes.

Often bumbling mother to baby girl "Sprog"
    Born November, 2009

Yes. It's not the fad to put little boys in leggings and capris.
    DS1 - 11/09
    DS2 - 7/11

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast