mjs64 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default SO: what's the difference between sizes 2 and 2T?

And 3 and 3T, and, for that matter, size 2, 2T, and size 24 mo (spotted this one last week but seems rare). We're in 18 mo sizes for the most part and DS is 12 mo old, but I'm confused about how kids go up in size. What's the trajectory?

A silly question from a first time mom.
    My baby boy is 3!

I've always thought that if it was a T, that meant that it was a little bigger in the bottom to accommodate a diaper. I've found that if it had a T, it was also a little shorter. As far as 2T, 2 and 24 month, it all depends on the brand. The companies that do 24 month usually won't have 2T or 2 sizing. I find that 24 month stuff are slightly smaller than 2 and 2T.
    DD: 11/2007
    DS: 08/2010
    : 06/2012

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

24 mo. Is for toddlers older than 18 mo but not yet 2.
    2t is for 2 year olds.
    3t is for 3 year olds.
    Etc

The non-t versions are longer and skinnier.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

Quote Originally Posted by wellyes View Post
    24 mo. Is for toddlers older than 18 mo but not yet 2.
    2t is for 2 year olds.
    3t is for 3 year olds.
    Etc

The non-t versions are longer and skinnier.
    Sounds like a 2 would be perfect for my tall thin ds. Can you rec any brands that do the non-t sizing? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by YouAreTheFocus View Post
    Sounds like a 2 would be perfect for my tall thin ds. Can you rec any brands that do the non-t sizing? Thanks
    Gymbo does. I told my MIL that DD wore a 3T and she just bought us a bunch of size 3 stuff from Gymbo which is really long (and my DD is 99th percentile in height, so when something is way too long for her it is very long).
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Almost everywhere carries non-t sizes starting at 4, not lower. It's frustrating.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

Almost everywhere carries non-t sizes starting at 4, not lower. It's frustrating.
    Ahh, that was my problem. My nearly 2.5 yo ds is still in 18-24 pants bc, across several brands, those are the only ones that fit in the waist. IME the jump to 2t is huge!

I do wish he didn't have to be walking around in pants several inches short, though.

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Also, for Gymboree, the non-t pants have a real drawstring. The t sizes have a faux drawstring.

jenstring95 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Gymboree starts non-T at 3, but you're right - everywhere else I can think of starts at 4 (or even 5, like Old Navy). IMO, Crazy 8 is the best about adjustable waists. A lot of their T sizes (especially jeans) have them, even at small sizes (like 12 months, etc.). Gymbo is the same company as C8 and charges more, but their adjustable waists don't start until 2T. Weird.