blisstwins is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Does anyone have a great oatmeal muffin recipe?

I can't remember the one that I used and a friend would like the recipe. I want something really healthy, but tasty.

ABO Mama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I've made these many times, and they are the only thing my DS will eat for breakfast! I also make them with 1 cup chopped apple + 1 tsp nutmeg instead of blueberries.

Recipe origionally posted by twoboos.

Blueberry Oat Muffins
    (Makes 12)

1 cup rolled or quick-cooking oats
    1 cup sour milk
    1 cup flour (I usually do half whole wheat flour)
    1 tsp. Baking powder
    ½ tsp. Baking soda
    ½ tsp. Salt
    ¾ cup brown sugar, packed
    1 egg, beaten
    ¼ cup melted butter
    1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine oats and milk, let stand 5-10 minutes. Combine dry ingredients in another bowl. Add egg and butter to oat mixture and stir well. Stir oat mixture into dry ingredients. Fold in blueberries. Fill lined or well-greased muffin tins with an ice cream scoop, and bake for 20 minutes.

Double the recipe as needed – these muffins freeze really well, if you don’t eat them all before they cool completely.

NOTE: Substitutes for buttermilk/sour milk:
    1 cup milk w/1 tbls lemon juice or white vinegar
    Equal amount sour cream
    Equal amounts yogurt/milk

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

ABO beat me to my own recipe!! Apples sound like a great sub, I will give it a try.

They are the BEST. Except I have made them so many thousands of times, DDs don't really like to eat them anymore. But I still make them for me!
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

joules is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I have the same recipe!! But with applesauce instead of the butter...and no blueberries.

Oat Applesauce Muffins
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/oat-app...ns/detail.aspx

Ingredients

1 cup rolled oats
    1 cup buttermilk
    1 cup whole wheat flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup applesauce
    1 egg

Directions

Place oats in a small bowl, pour in buttermilk. Let sit for two hours at room temperature.
    Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease 12 muffin cups or line with paper muffin liners.
    In a large bowl, stir together whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda and brown sugar. Stir in oat/buttermilk mixture, applesauce and egg; mix well. Pour batter into prepared muffin cups.
    Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of muffin comes out clean.

Here are my own notes based on the all recipes comments and my own experience:
    - Did not soak oats for 2 hours. Only soaked for as long as it took to get all the other ingredients together.
    - Used vanilla yogurt instead of buttermilk. I used the sour milk the last time I made them (yesterday) and it turned out really good as well.
    - Added 2 teaspoons cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon vanilla
    - Used my own freshly made no sugar added applesauce.
    - Did NOT cut down on the amount of brown sugar. I used the full 1/2 cup but loosely packed. These muffins are not very sweet.
    - Maybe next time I will add some chopped apples for more sweetness? But for a healthy recipe it's sweet enough...i can live with it
    DS1 - 03/10
    DS2 - 02/12

Beth24 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I had some buttermilk I needed to use so I made the twoboos blueberry oatmeal muffins today. Wow were they delicious!!! Thanks for the recipe.
    DS, 15
    DD, 10
    DS, 3