Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Well, I'm a nearly-lapsed Catholic but I am trying to follow Lenten practices for the sake of DH and DDs, so we had pan-seared tilapia with rice and green beans.

My grandmother makes a Sicilian pasta dish with sauce that has boiled eggs and peas instead of meat, which we had for dinner on Ash Wednesday. It's really good, even though it sounds unusual! I guess it was both traditional for Lent and for times when meat was too expensive, as an alternative protein source.

We tend towards simple dinners on Fridays during Lent, so might make bean and cheese quesadillas or english muffin meatless pizzas or (DH's least favorite) scrambled eggs and biscuits as main dishes. I also make soups (although I typically use chicken stock...shhh) that have lentils or beans. Many of these things are normal weeknight dinner things for us, though, not just during Lent.

Sarah
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

Puddy73 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I'm not feeling well tonight so I'm going with the lazy option: good ol' cheese pizza and salad.
    Jennifer
    Mommy to a big girl and a little girl with a sweet boy in the middle (and always missing our sweet baby boy #2, stillborn 7/12)

"The work of today is the history of tomorrow and we are its makers." Juliette Gordon Low

ugh. worst catholic ever...i totally forgot, but on reviewing my day i did pretty good-- no meat lunch, no meat dinner (we had the new scallops/peas thing from tjs frozen section with "super" pasta)...

but for breakfast i had bacon oh and now that i think of it-- i think we had bacon in our scallop thing oh well!

when i was young we'd always have no-meat pizza or mac and cheese with tuna cakes or pankcakes or sometimes, more rare, we'd go out to captain d's or long jon silvers..... doesn't really seem like sacraficing, esp if you are a kid! does it?

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I actually remembered not to eat meat today! But, I did not force this on DH and DDs.

Minestrone and grilled cheese for lunch, pad thai without chicken for dinner (although I meant to order VEGGIE pad thai, instead all I got was noodles with some shrimp and peanut sauce!).

Thanks for the good ideas here, I am going to have to put them into play in the upcoming weeks.
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

newg is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My go-to meals are: spaghetti (w/tofu in sauce) or no tofu, cheese pizza (tonight, from Dewey's!!), Fettuccini alfredo (made with skim or fat-free milk), shrimp scampi or fish...

DD1 2/08
    DD2 8/10

ZeeBaby is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Pizza lol

purpleeyes is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Sweet potato pancakes and "cheesy" eggs.
    B

DS
    DD

kwc is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Have this in the crockpot because Crock Pot lady raved about it and I already had everything.... sounded super weird but it smells really good. We'll see if the kids will eat it... we have plenty of rice if they don't! I might try to convince the kids that it is greek and throw some feta on top, as they will only eat spinach when it normally in ground meat gyros.

Honey Beans and Spinach Slow Cooker Dinner:
    http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2012...ow-cooker.html

Usually, it's spaghetti/ pasta, pizza or breaded fish for the kids. If just adults, quinoa salad or garbanzo salad.

KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Take out shrimp ceviche
    K

melrose7 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I made homemade bread bowls and then Pioneer Women's broccoli cheese soup. Never made either before and both turned out good.
    Promoting inclusiveness from within the special needs community
    "Just Include Everybody"
    includestephanie.com
    Stephanie's Shirt Shop on Facebook and Instagram

Mom to
    DD1 7-3-05
    DD2 7-5-07
    DS1 3-23-10

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast