Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How to grill/ cook a great steak?

I try really hard, but I just always make it edible, but not great. What is the secret?
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I just do it in a nonstick pan on the stovetop. I usually buy a boneless rib-eye or similar cut with a good amount of fat, and they need to be at least 1 inch in thickness. For medium-rare, cook a 1-inch thick steak for 2-3 min on each side. Let rest before cutting into it.

I just put some olive oil in the pan to coat, heat it up on high heat, and then put the steaks on. Steaks should be at room temp or close to it (take refrigerated steaks out for about an hour) and I just put S&P on. Then I turn the heat to medium high to cook 2-3 min, then flip, then cook another 2-3 min. You want to start on high heat to sear the meat. It should develop a good brown crust and will splatter and make a mess of the stovetop even with a splatter screen.

They've always come out tender and juicy and are great as is or sliced on a salad. We don't have a grill so I would have no clue how to do it that way
    Last edited by twowhat?; 02-26-2012 at 12:10 AM.

Cover the steak with a generous amount of salt and other spices (I use red wine, Worcestershire, pepper, and garlic) and let sit in the refrigerator for an hour minimum. Let steak warm to room temp before cooking. Heat grill to high heat (I have a big green egg the to let get to 600-700 degrees). Sear steak on the first side for 2 minutes, then flip over and sear on the second side for 2 minutes. Shut grill off and let stand for 5 minutes for medium rare (about 4 minutes longer for each "level" of doneness). Remove from grill and let stand for 5 minutes MINIMUM before serving and slicing to retain the juices. And for Pete's sake don't use steak sauce.

We used a gas grill forever, but DH bought a big green egg last year for Fathers Day. It was the BEST.PURCHASE.EVER. It uses charcoal and is soooo much easier to use than gas. You can regulate the temp easier than anything I've ver used, including my electric range. If your budget can handle it, I strongly recommend it. We have a large, and FIL bought an XL after spending a weekend cooking on ours.

For reference, we are in TX and eat steak at least once a week. We usually cook rib eye or NY strip, at least 1 inch thick.

Pear is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Salt and pepper and let come to room temp. I cook in a skillet on the stovetop for about 5 minutes a side. Then transfer pan to a 400 degree oven until temperature is met. I cheat and use one of those probes that stays in during cooking and it beeps when my selected doneness is reached. Remove from oven and put a little butter on top. Cover with foil and let rest 5 minutes.

My husband used to want to go out to eat for steak all the time, but once I adopted this technique he prefers to eat at home.

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I put seasoned salt, garlic powder and pepper on ours.... sometimes a little bit of worchestershire.

We cook ours on a cast iron grill pan... 3 to 4 minutes on each side... remove and let it rest for 5 minutes before cutting into it.

queenmama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Funny how everyone's way is different!

We buy tri-tip or ribeye. (For ribeye, make sure you get one with fat marbled in) Season with Cavenders or whatever you like, a good cut won't need much. Sear in a cast iron skillet (I'm talking JUST sear it, 20 seconds at most), then grill for 4-5 minutes on each side, depending on thickness. Searing it keeps it super juicy, even if you have to reheat for leftovers.

Sent from my Android phone using Tapatalk
    Mama to Henry (6/2000) and Agnes (4/2012)
    old school member of the BBB

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

DH grills and I have no idea what he does, but his are good.

If we cook it indoors, I use the alton brown skillet + oven method. That works really well for me. I was never successful cooking steaks indoors until I started using his technique.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

barkley1 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

What cut of meat do ppl buy? Only a few posters have mentioned that...

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by barkley1 View Post
    What cut of meat do ppl buy? Only a few posters have mentioned that...
    We usually buy NY Strip or Ribeye.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

usually bone-in ribeye, sometimes porterhouse or ny strip.

season generously with olive oil, salt and pepper. grill on direct high heat 6-8 minutes, flipping once. if it's a thick steak or you want it more well done, move it to indirect high heat for 3-4 minutes. use tongs, so you don't puncture the steak. take off grill and let rest for 5 minutes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast