Default drinking/bathing water ?

Anyone with convictions about water quality care to share some info/advice? Are there sources you like for information about environmental concerns like water quality?

Our tap water passes tests for toxins--though I don't know how rigorous the testing or how high the standards--but doesn't taste great. The Brita improves flavor, but the black are annoying, and getting more so. So I'm guessing we need a new pitcher. Before I bought it I checked to see what others do, did some surfing online, and got more than I bargained for. (Reminded once again why it's a bad idea to get on the internet "just to check something quickly" when I can't sleep at night.)

I have zero science knowledge, and--based on what I've found so far--it's hard to distinguish legitimate concerns vs. marketing (fear-mongering). So, I can't do any kind of a cost-benefit analysis.

Looking at:

Basic drinking water pitcher or faucet add on

Bathwater de-chlorinators (thought over the top, but a friend's FIL buys them for grandkids)

Reverse osmosis system ($$$ but given the price of various add-ons and replacement filters, I can see why someone would with funds to pay up front would do it)

Any advice or sources appreciated.

We have filters on our showers and I would never go back to bathing in chemicals at this point. We also drink filtered water from our fridge. We buy our shower filters from Best Filters online, but there are other sources. I've even seen them at Lowe's.

Quote Originally Posted by baboki View Post
    We have filters on our showers and I would never go back to bathing in chemicals at this point. We also drink filtered water from our fridge. We buy our shower filters from Best Filters online, but there are other sources. I've even seen them at Lowe's.
    Thanks so much. Sounds like you actually noticed a difference. What persuaded you to invest in the filters in the first place? Just curious, no pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by marge234 View Post
    Thanks so much. Sounds like you actually noticed a difference. What persuaded you to invest in the filters in the first place? Just curious, no pressure.
    I was reading "The Truth About Beauty" by Kat James. I got a lot out of the book, but if nothing else it was worth it just for the shower filter idea! My skin is so much softer, and my hair color lasts a LOT longer without all the chemicals drying it out and stripping it. In general, we are trying to cut down on the amount of chemicals in our life. We are not 100% by a long shot. But the shower was an easy first step, and DH and I are both happy with it.