Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Mattress Pad and Sheets on a pack-n-play -- air pockets?

We just got a pack n' play and both a mattress pad and sheet to go on it. When I had the mattress in the pack n' play by itself, it seemed perfectly fine -- the mattress covering was snug against the mattress. However, I then tried to put the mattress pad and sheet on the mattress (I'm just talking about that little folding one that the pack n' play comes with). While the mattress itself didn't fold up or anything, it seems like there is a lot of air trapped in it now -- the pad and sheet aren't loose at all, it's just like a big air pocket underneath. It seems like it's coming from the mattress itself, because now that I've taken the pad and sheet off the mattress, there's still some air in the mattress. Anyone else had this experience? Is it a concern? I want to be able to use a pad and sheet with the pack n' play, because the mattress itself doesn't seem waterproof, but having the baby sleep on an air pocket doesn't seem safe, either....
    Lizi

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Ditch the mattress pad and get a couple of those long, flannel-y waterproof pads like this instead:

http://www.amazon.com/Continental-Qu...8708187&sr=1-2

It doesn't have elastic around the edges but that's not a big worry as the sheet will keep it on the mattress. I also find that it's a bit static-y, so it doesn't slip around as much as I thought it might ... plus, if you get a crib-length pad, the ends will tuck a few inches under the PNP mattress, adding to the non-slip feel. As long as the sheet is snug on top, you'll be fine.

We use a waterproof pad and a sheet in our DD's pack & play and it's saved our butts more than once! (I've plopped her there after showering and she's pee'd in the PNP. If I'd just had the sheet, I'd have been posting here to ask how to clean a PNP mattress so that it doesn't stink like urine.)
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Thank you! This looks like it will work well, and definitely better than the mattress pad I have now -- this is why I ordered on Amazon, off to take advantage of the free returns!
    Lizi

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Liziz View Post
    Thank you! This looks like it will work well, and definitely better than the mattress pad I have now -- this is why I ordered on Amazon, off to take advantage of the free returns!
    Glad to help. =)
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle