Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default "Ok to Wake" Alarm Clock?

Did it work for you and if it did, how old was your toddler? I see that most positive reviews on amazon are from moms of older toddlers (2 and a half and older).

DD just turned 2 and started waking up at 5 am. I've read other threads and I see some of you recommend the "ok to wake" alarm clocks.

Also, which brand did you have?
    DD February 2010
    DS January 2012

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We got ours when DS turned 3. I don't know if he would've been as compliant at an earlier age. But he was also in a crib until he turned 3 and he finally figured out he could climb out if he wanted. It did work for us, and I don't know if the clock had anything to do with it, but that was also around the time he started waking up at 7 am instead of 6 am (or earlier).

the only thing I don't like is that it goes through batteries like crazy.
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

I used a regular alarm clock with ds around age two. It worked. I tried the owl light okay to wake clock with dd for a full month starting at age 22 months. No dice. (And that sucker went through two sets of batteries in that amount of time despite not being in dd's crib so it wasn't heavily used.)

Catherine

azazela is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We have this one and started using it at around 3 years old with a big girl bed. It's been working really nicely for us. I haven't used it with my almost two year old yet, but I imagine we'd get him one when he is out of the crib.
    Anna, mommy to DD 11/06 and DS 3/10

Quote Originally Posted by azazela View Post
    We have this one and started using it at around 3 years old with a big girl bed. It's been working really nicely for us. I haven't used it with my almost two year old yet, but I imagine we'd get him one when he is out of the crib.
    We have this one as well but honestly DD has never been an early riser so we don't know whether it really keeps her in bed to a given time. She does report that the clock is green when she comes into our bedroom. She was newly 3 when we got it.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

ckso is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I got the same clock when dd was 2-1/2 and transitioned to her toddler bed. It works great and she stays in her room until the light is green. So if she wakes up early she plays in there. Now that she's potty trained, she'll ask to go potty then goes back to her room until its green

Also works for naps. She's starting to transition out of her naps but she still needs one in the afternoon. So we use it as hers (and ours) quiet time and she plays in her room until the light turns green

Nechums is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We have that one too and it has worked wonders since we started using it around 2.5 years (when DS moved into his bed).

Honestly, I would say that the success of it really depends on the kid. DS is a very rigid kids who enjoys following rules, so it works for him.

My only complaint about the clock (very minor complaint) is that the body stays yellow, even when the light of the clock's face turns from yellow to green. This was very confusing for DS the first day, but then we just explained that he needs to look at the face and not at the body.
    Proud mom to
    DS1, Sept 2008
    DS2, Apr 2011
    DD, Oct 2012

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We have the Teach Me Time clock for DD1. I think we got it for her when she was 3yo. DD2 is 27mos and I'm pretty sure she couldn't be compliant with it.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

lowrioh is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We got this for DD1 at around 3.5. She would not have been compliant with it before age 3 though.

We got the Teach Me Time at 2 and she wakes up every morning going, "Mommy! Green light now! I awake!" We have heard her playing in there prior to the green light too. Now if she wakes up SUPER EARLY, there is no going back, because she is actually quite upset that she is awake. So for the OP, I would try going in slow 15 min increments until your child gets to a parent approved time!
    Audrey - Feb 2010
    Anderson - Dec 2011

Please, no babies in 2012!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast