Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    theriviera is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Does anyone else's DC wake up on the wrong side of the bed (crib)?

I cannot remember the last time that DD1 (3) woke up in a good mood. Well, she is initially happy when you come into her room but often, she finds something to be upset about before we even have a chance to take her out of her crib. I thought that maybe she was simply hungry so we bring milk into her room now (she has a hard time eating straight away in the morning) but we are still dealing with a crankpot. I mean, yesterday, she was in a foul mood (temper tantrums, crying, etc) for a good 2 hours before she started to turn the corner.

Her day looks like:

Wake up: between 6 and 6:30

Nap: 1:30 - 3/3:30. Nanny usually wakes her during the week, sometimes she wakes on her own. On the weekend she will sleep until 4/4:15. I tried to wake her starting at 3:30 yesterday but could not wake her up.

Bedtime: in crib at 8, asleep by 8:15/8:30

Any idea as to what's going on?
    Mama to 3 awesome kids

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

DS2 wakes up like that quite often. His moods do not last as long though. I've often thought that hunger or still being tired are the culprits. Chuggington usually does the trick for us. It's the only thing that works quickly!
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

Quote Originally Posted by arivecchi View Post
    DS2 wakes up like that quite often. His moods do not last as long though. I've often thought that hunger or still being tired are the culprits. Chuggington usually does the trick for us. It's the only thing that works quickly!
    Is Chuggington a show? We tried TV yesterday morning which worked while on but as soon as it was over we were back to the bad mood. I swear, sometimes it feels like we have a teenager! Except she wakes super early rather than sleeping until noon

It feels like she is not getting enough sleep at night but unless we cut the nap (which she seems to need) there is no way to get her to bed earlier.
    Mama to 3 awesome kids

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

How old is she? We had to cut the nap recently because otherwise, DS would not be tired until 9:30-10! It was miserable!
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

She just turned 3. It's a vicious cycle, as she is definitely super tired by 1/1:30 and she goes to bed fairly easily at night. But maybe she is not tired enough to get a full night's sleep?
    Mama to 3 awesome kids

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Yes, two of my kids have been like this. I was never able to figure out any rhyme or rhythm of what was causing it. Having a snack, drink and tv show ready is usually the only thing that helps. It's funny you posted this. For the past wk, DS3 has actually been waking up happy... until today, he woke up in a total funk again. DS1 was so happy, he'd wake up and SING! So, I was shocked that DS2 was like this and then of course DS3 is a lot like DS2 and he is like this too.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

That must be hard, perhaps allergies? i know I always woke up cranky even though slept well and turns out I was suffering from bad case of allergies. In small children, it's harder to detect that type of pattern, so perhaps bring it up with your DC's ped?

I worried for a bit when my DS went through a week/2 weeks of that; usually wakes up 8am and was often happy initially but cranky or quiet by time we leave his room. As it turns out, he was teething, so that cannot be it for you.

Feel your pain though!
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

small update:

I thought that maybe DD1 was taking her nap too late and it was impacting her ability to sleep at night. I asked our nanny to put her down earlier (just 30 minutes). Well, I'm not sure if it's because it rained yesterday (so she didn't get a chance to burn off energy outside) or moving the nap up, but she didn't nap at all!

I put her down a little after 7 and she was asleep by 7:15. She slept until 7:15 this morning! I couldn't believe it. She was also in a great mood.

It's only one day, so I know I can't draw any conclusions from this. I'm also hesitant to drop her nap in case that this was just a fluke.

hellokitty, i think your DS2 and my DD1 are around the same age (3). Is your DS3 still napping? Did your DS2 start waking up in a better mood after dropping his nap?

DualvansMommy, that's a great point. I am taking her in today for something else so i will ask.
    Mama to 3 awesome kids

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Yes, my 2.5-year-old has ALWAYS woken up crying. Lately it's been getting better, but still not the happy chattering that my older son always did/does! He's been in a bed for almost a year, so that's not the problem. He figured out doorknobs several months ago, so that's not it, either. He's cranky whether he naps or doesn't, though if he naps, he cries like crazy when he wakes up.

It's so annoying!

Quote Originally Posted by pastrygirl View Post
    Yes, my 2.5-year-old has ALWAYS woken up crying. Lately it's been getting better, but still not the happy chattering that my older son always did/does! He's been in a bed for almost a year, so that's not the problem. He figured out doorknobs several months ago, so that's not it, either. He's cranky whether he naps or doesn't, though if he naps, he cries like crazy when he wakes up.

It's so annoying!
    I'm sorry your dealing with this too!
    Mama to 3 awesome kids

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast