Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default please help, how to reduce sinus swelling/pain??

not so much in the nose, but in the other sinuses (maxillary sinus - cheek area, forehead, near eye). i have literally had a non-stop sinus headache for 4 days, and it's starting to affect my sleep. i've tried ibuprofen, nasal rinse, etc already. a steam bath or shower makes it worse..i feel better though walking out of a shower into fresh, non-stuffy air. i don't have a runny nose at all..just pressure.
    bac/kground: following 3 back-to-back colds this season...i have been having daily headaches for a few months now...negative allergy testing, on Monday i had a CT scan at my ENT showing that my sinuses were very swollen which indiciated chronic sinusitis. he said i would be a good candidtate for surgery to open up the sinuses. i still said i would think about it, though i'm leaning towards getting it. 3 years ago a different ENT dr did a CT scan and told me the same thing.

however now with my headaches just getting worse and worse (i have had the same headache for 4 days, no break) im at a loss of what to do..even if i go ahead and schedule the surgery in a few weeks..i cannot go on like t his. i have been taking 600 mg ibuprofen and it helps maybe a little...and i can't take more doses in a day because my stomach gets upset. tylenol doesn't do anything. i haven't tried stronger pain meds because i am a SAH to 1 yo and 2yo, we have no family in town to help and DH has been out of town and i can't be groggy during the day driving them here and there to their dr appts, etc. i did try taking Sudafed and it helped maybe a little...but i only take one dose bc that stuff makes me crazy wired and shaky (i can't take it at night).

anyway if there are any suggestions on what i could do, let me know. i am feeling downright awful. my former preemie DD"s birthday is today, and instead of being happy i just feel like i want to crawl in a hole and die. My DH is out of town until very late tonight bc his grandfather passed away and he had to fly back to his hometown for the funeral which of course was today, so he will be missing DD's birthday (he missed DS's birthday this year also for work related stuff). sorry to feel so negative and selfish, but it's hard to focus on anything else besides the pain i'm in right now.
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 03-08-2012 at 09:12 AM.