View Poll Results: Did your SO stay with you at the hospital overnight?

Voters
189. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes for all deliveries

98 51.85%
  • Yes for the first delivery but not for subsequent deliveries

35 18.52%
  • Yes for some delivieries but not all

10 5.29%
  • No, not all

36 19.05%
  • Not applicable

4 2.12%
  • Other

11 5.82%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default s/o - Did your SO stay with you at the hospital when you had DC?

Looking at the thread about private rooms, I noticed that a lot of folks mentioned that their SO didn't stay with them at the hospital. My DH keeps bringing this up (he really hates sleeping on the hospital chair) and it kind of upsets me. He was there for DD1 and was a huge help to me (I had a C, so I couldn't get out of bed. He did all the dipes and dressing, helped me nurse, protected me from evil nurses etc.). I have been adamant that he absolutely must be at the hospital with me, but maybe I am being a hard a$$?
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012

KLD313 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

No! He left while I was still in recovery and didn't even come the whole next day. Don't even get me started on how pissed I was about that. Can you imagine?

DH was there for DD but my mom was in town and tended to the animals and any errand running.

Not sure how I would handle with another little one.

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

My DH also complained about hospital chair, but I still wanted him to be there. He was leaving me for longer stretch during day time and we ended up being there only 1 day (no complications). It was nice to have him available.
    My DH was on the airplane when I had DS1, but he stayed with me, next time he was with me... Not sure, how to answer.
    Last edited by Tinochka; 03-07-2012 at 05:46 PM.

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DH stayed both nights with me, with no complaints. I would've been furious if he didn't! During the day he did leave for a while the first day, but my mom was with me.

Now with this baby I could be more understanding if he wanted to stay with DS during the night, but I still prefer that he stay with me. And if he doesn't stay I'm sure my mom would offer to stay. But even my dad who complaints more than anyone you've ever met about uncomfortable beds, stayed with my mom all 3 times.

ETA: Our hospital had an actual bed or cot for SO's, not a chair, I don't know how comfortable it was.
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

ZeeBaby is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DH moved in for both pregnancies with me. He left more during the second to check on DD1, but only for brief periods of time. I also had short stays, which helped as well.

codex57 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Since she was pushing the kids out, she had to be there for all the deliveries.

But I was with her too. I never got to see either kid come out tho. I was up next to her failing miserably at trying to ease the process. She had it incredibly easy (relatively) for both kids tho. On the last one, the attending actually called a bunch of other residents and nurses to come into our room and check DW out cuz her body was pushing on its own.

swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Just for the last one. DD3 was born on Saturday (our Sabbath) and the hospital is not walking distance of our home. So he had to stay with me until nightfall. I was so excited. I never had that before.

nfowife is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KLD313 View Post
    No! He left while I was still in recovery and didn't even come the whole next day. Don't even get me started on how pissed I was about that. Can you imagine?
    That's horrible. I hope he has done some amazing stuff to make up for that! If you are still together, I mean.

With DD1, DH stayed the first 2 nights. Didn't get much sleep. Then we went home for 2 nights and realized she was severely jaundiced and had to go back in for 3 more nights. By then the IL's had arrived so the first night MIL stayed with me, and by then I was okay for them to go after dinner and come in the morning.

With DS I had a very easy delivery with no complications. I told DH to go home for the night and come get me in the morning (left at the 24 hour mark).

With DD2 She was also born in the morning, a bit earlier than expected so the IL's hadn't yet arrived to stay with the other 2. We had a friend come over at 3 am, I delivered at 7 so the friend dropped both kids at school and DH picked them up in the afternoon from school. He even took DD1 to dance because I didn't want her to miss it! Then he brought them over for dinner and to meet baby sister.
    The next day he dropped the kids at school, picked up the IL's at the airport, and then dropped MIL to come stay with me until I was discharged midday. Then I drove myself, MIL, and DD2 home from the hospital .

If I'd felt it was necessary he would have stayed with me but I didn't see the point in both of us getting crappy sleep and being bored. So I sent him home.
    M, mommy to A 2005, E 2007, and L 2010

mommyp is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Yes, for both deliveries. For DS, I was only in 1 night, then we came home the next afternoon so DD only had to spend 1 night away from home at our friends'. He left the hospital to say goodnight to her and install the car seat base (DS came early!) then came back. For the second delivery, he had a cot, much better than the chair when DD was born.
    DD January 2008
    DS September 2011

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast