Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    m448 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My chiro taught me a tapping/pressure technique for sinuses and she said I could do it with or without lavender essential oil. Basically using your middle finger with pretty firm pressure (enough that a person next to you could hear it) you tap across your brow bone from the inside out then from slightly below your orbital bone under your eye beginning at the side of your nose from the inside out and do both sides. Then using your pointer finger and thumb massage in one smoothing motion under your jaw from your chin to under your ears and then down your neck.
    Herding my flock of 4 kids, all 12 and under.

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I am a fellow queen of sinus infections and a candidate for surgery. I currently do two nasal sprays daily - Astepro and Nasicort. I also take Singular and Allegra. With this cocktail, I am in much better condition than this year. I don't have constant pain either.

I take goldenseal. It's kind of a natural antibiotic and I'vefound that taking about 5 capsules a day for 3 or 4 days will totally clear my sinuses. I consider it a wonder drug.
    ~~AngelaS~~
    Mommy to 3 girls: A, G and M. (15, 11 and 8.5)

The education of all children, from the moment that they can get along without a mother's care, shall be in state institutions at state expense.
    – Karl Marx, "The Communist Manifesto"

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I've been thinking about you because I've been where you are. If you really want to avoid surgery, have you talked to an allergist about your sensitivity to the weather and fragrances? I had a conversation with my allergist about a year ago about relief of the headaches caused by the weather (because I get them too) and I remember him telling me he treats many patients who have fragrance/weather sensitivities with allergy meds (I think) even though they don't have true allergies. I do remember him saying he was able to treat a lady who had suffered over 20 years. Just another thought. You said you were checked for allergies, so maybe you've already covered that.

m448 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Something else that might be related. A couple of years ago I began to have childhood asthma symptoms coming back (wheezing, etc.) and didn't want to treat it with the typical cocktail of meds that might reduce the frequency of attacks but possibly make them more severe. I began to take Quercetin (I think it's jarrow) and I just take one 500mg pill a day. I have no more wheezing and since it's a bioflavinoid with antinflammatory properties it helps as a maintenance thing.

I agree that fragrance especially artificial fragrance can be an irritant. For unrelated reasons I began to phase out fragrances from the home except for essential oils several years ago and it's done a world of good.

For a great quick fix demulcent you can make a quickie thyme tea (yes with the dried herb) and drink it liberally. Your nose will begun to run like a faucet but better out then in kwim?
    Herding my flock of 4 kids, all 12 and under.

mom2one is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I did not read the other post, so i dont know if someone else has posted this. I was beyond miserable with my sinuses back in 2009. I was put on my 6th different antibiotic for my sinus infection and then told to go see an ENT. I got my CT scan done, but the weekend came. I went from miserable to miserable times 100. It was a long weekend and I ended up in the ER twice. The second time some smart doctor gave me steroids. It truly, truly saved me until I could get in for surgery a week later.

I would ask your doctor for a steroid shot or take pills for a few days to decrease all the swelling going on in there. My swelling got so bad, it was starting to affect my vision and I started throwing up. This is what lead me to the ER to get some much needed relief.

WHat did your CT scan show?

Susan

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

thanks everyone. i wish i could reply to all but i can't right now, my head is so foggy, and i can't spend much time in the computer.

my CT scan showed that i had significant swelling in my sinuses, primarily in my right maxillary sinus. like 1/4 or 1/3 of it was really swollen. he said its the chronic type where the lining is swollen, even though the cold symptoms (runny nose, etc have long gone away). right now, the pain there is the worst..i feel a deep burning pain behind my right eye.i also get pain int eh cheek and in my jaw. i got these similar results 3 years ago from a different ENT doctor who said i had chronic sinusitis and recommended surgery

i have been using astepro spray for a while now prescribed by this ENT. i've also taken claritin or zyrtec in the past daily..for weeks on end, but not sure it really helped much..i would often still get headaches. the asteopro spray seems more effective, and does helps my nose feel better, but doesn't do much for the other areas. i think it helps some but not enough.

i do agree that i right now i'm trying to focus on getting swelling/inflammation down ASAP. this is not typical it seems..i've literlaly had the same headache for four days now and it's just getting worse. ibuprofen helps a little bit but it's not going away, at all. i've tried massaging the area, my shoulders everything. am trying to get a hold of my doctor right now so i can get a steroid shot to get it under control..dont' want to have to go to the ER this weekend (i've had to do that when pregnant when headaches got really bad and i could not stop vomiting)..i have no idea how i can manage it since DH when he gets back would have to watch the kids. argh. this is maddening.
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 03-08-2012 at 01:53 PM.

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

It definitely sounds like an immediate course of steroids could help you. In your other post I mentioned my success with a daily steroid rinse to avoid sinus surgery. You may want to mention that to your doctor as well as a longer-term solution.

Good luck, I know what living h*ll it is, having chronic sinusitis!
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

KLD313 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I just thought of ome more thing that helped, acupuncture. It was truly amazing and cured me of sinus problems for years. She also taught me an accupressure technique that helps. Basically you bend your pointer fingers, run them down the side of your nose and when you get right under that little bump about halfway down you go outwards across your cheekbones applying pressure the whole time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2